Conifers removed, topsoil needed?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Majic, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Majic

Majic Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, I recently had a row of conifer trees removed, the stumps taken out and a fence put in. I would now like to replace the trees with some plants and hopefully a vegetable patch in a raised bed. I'm not really confident in what to do next but I suspect I need some garden edging and some topsoil before I do any planting. What I don't know is how much topsoil I need. The area in question (see enclosed) is 14mx1m. Do I need topsoil? What is left behind following the removal of the trees is mainly bark mixed in with soil. Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
    IMG_20221004_181632800.jpg IMG_20221004_181702477.jpg [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2022
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I think you will need a few bags of soil improver rather than topsoil. Soil improver is mostly organic material which you mix into the top of your soil. It will encourage earthworms and other organisms. Your existing soil is probably impoverished ie lacking in nutrients and organic matter, due to the conifers.

Soil improver comes in different forms, you can sometimes get it for free if you have stables nearby basically that will be well rotted horse manure and bedding. It is also sold in garden centres in bags as a cleaner easier to handle material. You will need approximately one 75 litre bag per sq m, so 14 bags in your case.

It's a good time to do it in the next month so worms can do the hard work overwinter. Then you can plan for planting in the spring.

You don't need edging, you could just cut out the bed with a spade. Edging will help keep it neat and tidy though. There are all sorts of edging materials so it depends on what you like and your budget.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi looks good

needs a good digging over as I would imagine the soil is compacted .... add some blood fish and bone fertiliser as well as what John said ... I hope you have left a space for hedgehogs to get around the gardens

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Majic

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks for the replies. With regard to edging/cutting out with spade do I do this first or get the Soil Improver etc down first and get it raked over and then worry about the edging afterwards

• Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,352
        I would do all the digging adding compost/ raking etc then when all done do the edging last
        last

Have a look at double digging would be useful with what you have done its basically dig out a spade width across put to one side then compost in the bottom or horse muck if you can , then dig the next trench out and back fill as you go ... you can do thsi all over the winter so it dont kill you ... I would plant up in the spring once the soil has all settled ...

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,926
          I would edge it first so it remains clean when you add the soil improver. You don't want to mix any of the grass cuttings when you edge as they might sprout up.

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Spruce

Ratings:
            +12,352
            • Like Like x 1
            • Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,352
              I would do a rough edge but its going to get trampled ... ask a couple of gardeners get a lot of different answers :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
                Ratings:
                +1,151
                I would be interested to know what the aspect of the fence is. Does it cast a shadow onto the ground you wish to plant?, and at what time of day (Presume you are Northern hemisphere!) Will you need a path to reach the oil tank?

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Majic

Ratings:
                  +2
                  I won't need a path to the oil tank, that is at the front of the garden. The fence is facing North East, so catches sun throughout morning and early afternoon

• Like Like x 1
                  • Useful Useful x 1