conkers galore!

Discussion in 'Trees' started by amanita, Aug 4, 2012.

1. amanita

amanita Gardener

semi retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    I work a 5 acre site that has a driveway lined with horse chestnuts. There are approx 26 trees in all. Come September I have the problem of picking the conkers up off the road. does anyone else have this problem, if so how do you get round it? I'd appreciate any suggestions

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    Get yourself a 45 gallon oil drum (one with a removeable top) mount a vacuum cleaner on the top and fit the vac hose to a hole in the barrel lid. Drill a second hole in the top opposite the vacuum cleaner hole and fit a second much longer vacuum hose.

Lift the lid of the drum and weld a section of metal centrally across the drum downwards from the top of the drum to a depth of 18" to couple of feet.

Fire up the vacuum cleaner and the vacuum will lift the conkers off the ground and deposit them in the barrel. The flap of metal will stop any acorns entering the drum and going straight out again. Wheels 'borrowed' froma supermarket trolley and welded to the bottom of the drum will get you mobile.

Not the best description, but I hope you get the idea. I'll leave it up to you to organise the electrical extension cable!

Cheers, Tony.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I used to work on an estate, and I know it had a big Conker tree along the drive, but I can't for the life of me remember if we did anything about clearing them. I think we just used to wait for em to all be run over.

• greeninmanyways

greeninmanyways Gardener

Ratings:
      +25
      Invite all the local kids from all the local schools to come with their parents for a free afternoon 'conker picking' then have an 'Olympic Conkers Compitition' charge £1 entry with a small prize for winner and raise some money for charity of your choice. ADAPT AS YOU LIKE.

• Like Like x 3