Construction of our veg plot.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by EddieJ, Feb 25, 2010.

1. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Now that the woodland walk project is drawing to an end, I urgently want to get on with constructing the veg plot. I really don't want to miss yet another year, and besides, I've bought the seed potatoes now, and need somewhere to ultimately put them!

Once again, the site was very very neglected, and much work has already taken place.

This was of how it began three years ago when my clearing work of the area started.

[​IMG]

Because renovations to the house have been a priority, the site has stayed like this for about the last two years.

[​IMG]

Last autumn

[​IMG]

Last Friday.

[​IMG]

And finally last Saturday.

[​IMG]

The veg plot size is approx 17m x 10m plus an additional area to the side.
    There is going to be a 900mm wide pathway all the way around the outside, which will be constructed and finished in the same way that I did the 'woodland walk' The beds are going be 1.2m wide and constructed from 200mm x 47mm pressure treated soft wood. I'm going to make the design up as I go along, but have some fairly clear idea already in my head. I'll post up some further details a bit later, including the irrigation system etc.:)

2. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hehe, great to see your daughter in there doing her bit! She's really going to enjoy your garden as she's being made to feel a part of it.

Lovely big space you have for your vege plot!

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Looking forward to seeing this develop Eddie...I really like your big yellow spade!! :hehe:

Steve...:)

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Looking good Eddie, You certainly do things the proper way, like Steve I look forward to seeing it's progression.. :thumb:

5. Chrislovestogarden

Chrislovestogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what an amazing space you've got there! Where abouts do you live if you don't mind me asking - it looks lovely...

6. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Thanks.:)

Chloe spends more time outside than I do.:)

The space is really way too big for our needs, so once all is done and I can see what we have, I was thinking of perhaps trying to find local deserving family to come and enjoy it as well.

If Carlsberg made spades, that's how they would look!:hehe: It certainly made the double digging easier!

I don't know about doing things a 'proper' way. I guess that we all have our own opinions about that one.
    Weather permitting, tomorrow should see some changes.

The garden is located on the North side of Crowborough.
    It also faces North and is fairly exposed, but the stunning view makes up for any short comings in that respect.
    Once all the renovation works are finished, and things begin to get established around the whole garden, we may well opt into the NGS.

[​IMG]

The soil here is very acidic, and at the moment does need a lot of work. For me that is what gardening is all about. If it was too easy, where would the fun be!

Sadly my biggest problem is this!!

[​IMG]

I'm going to have to make the whole garden deer proof.:(

7. Chrislovestogarden

Chrislovestogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wow! that looks amazing! shame about the deers though :-(

8. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    I had hoped to get busy on the beds last weekend, but digger wouldn't start and meant that I lost the weekend.
    So instead, I got started today and this is te result.:)

I apologize for the following poor quality photos, but I will try and take some better ones at the weekend, after hopefully some more progress.

These three beds measure 5.4m x 1.2m, 3.6m x 1.2m and 3.6m x 1.2m
    The path parimeter is 900mm wide, and the pathways between beds 700mm wide. The boarding is 200mm x 47mm pressure treated softwood and the spacing between pegs is 600mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. The Rockhopper

The Rockhopper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OMG i want to win the lottery more than ever now, it would be my dream to develop an area like this.... get out of Manchester and in to the country (but not too far from the sea) if only for the seaweed..:gnthb:

10. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    I managed to put a rib out of place while at work on Friday, and made things worse for myself by very reluctantly taking some pain killers. I don't do tablets or any form of chemical medication, and now I know why. I became very dizzy and had bad stomach cramps that lasted well into Saturday.
    On the plus side, I still managed to get on with things Sat afternoon and today, Sunday.[​IMG]
    I managed to get four more beds set up, but still need to peg them fully as I have only done the corners.
    The sizes for these four beds are, one at 5.4m x 1.2m and three at 1.8m x 1.2m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh: Wow Eddie..!! Amazing work despite everything mate..!!! Looking forward to seeing your veg in them now..!
    I know what it is like to turn a rib..!! You have made me breath less deeply already..!:help: I hope you are going to have a nice soak for a while after all that.. I find hanging from my favourite beam as relaxed as possible for 5-10 mins sorts allot of things that need straightening again too, otherwise it is the Chiropractor for me..!! :wink:

12. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089

Sadly my back and ribs are the one thing that mess my day to day work up. I've been going to a chiropractor for well over 20yrs now.:( With lifting green oak beams day in day out, I guess that something has to give.

The rib problem is a different issue as its stress related. For some reason if I get stressed or anxious one rib will just ride slightly out of place. It goes back in after a few hours, but like you say, breathing isn't much fun and neither is the bruised feeling.

13. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Absolutey Eddie, well hope you are feeling better later then.. I understand about backs & back problems & the Chiropractor my SiL is a tree surgeon & over the the years has has 2 very unlucky accidents which resulted in a broken back.. He never ceases to amaze me the amount of pain he can take on a daily basis, very probably like you as you are in very simiular lines of work.. He often supplies the cut Oak trees to a local person to us like yourself. He builds Oak framed or timbered Barns garages & houses extensions, whatever the customer wants really... Have a restful evening then mate if you can.! :thmb:

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    That's going to be a brilliant veg garden Eddie. Sorry about your back/ribs - sounds very painful.

15. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    I love your gardening space you have, and its so nice to see kids out helping in the gardens.

Mine used to help out, when they were younger.

Nice pic of the deer too, but i can only imagine the damage she'll do when everything is planted, so it looks like a fence is a good option.

Cant wait to see some more pics.