container centrepiece

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by endeavour, Sep 27, 2010.

1. endeavour

endeavour Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi have just bought a large pot for front garden and would like to put an evergreen shrub in it had thought of japanese maple but not sure if they are evergreen any advice welcome.
    thanks

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I've two, of the palmatum apropurpureum variety, (I think) you can see the smallest in my avatar, there's a photo of a much bigger one in my "Doghouse's Garden" topic.
    They aren't evergreen. Actually they go an attractive "firey red" just before the leaves fall.
    They will do OK in a pot as long as it's a decent size, they like an acidic well draining soil. I've seen one of these about six feet tall in a pot about two and a half feet in diameter, in Bents garden centre.
    Mind you, they wanted £3.000 for it.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    There are plenty of varieties of Euonymus that would make an ideal centre piece for a pot due to them being slow growing and evergreen. Some are variegated, others have interesting shapes and leaves. Have a google for them and see if there are any you like.

Alternatively, you could also try Sarracocca (aka Christmas Box) which is also slow growing, evergreen and has the added bonus of sweetly scented white flowers in January. Or...Osmanthus, ditto slow growing and evergreen.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Endeavor. No, Japanese Maples are not evergreen but they are beautiful 9 months of the year.
    And there is something I like about bare branches in winter. Very sculptural and just lovely with little lines of snow or frost along them.

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Yes, euonymus is a very attractive and durable all-year round plant.
    We have one as a "climber." It has spread for about ten feet on wires covering the side fence behind our pool-side rockery and it is six feet high.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Thought of another one that is slow growing - Twisted Hazel. I have one in a pot on the patio and in winter it looks superb. It's deciduous but the twisted braches more than make up for that. It can be a bit boring though during the year when it's in full leaf though.

7. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Not all "maples" like windy sites so buy with where you are placing it in mind