1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container gardening

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Hannah, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hullo! As my new garden is tiny, with oh-so-attractive poured concrete bordering two sides in a wide path, I'm thinking container gardening. I would like to have a basket with red and yellow cherry toms, what variety do you recommend for easy care, fairly hardy, and tasty? When should I start looking to buy plants, or is it better to grow from seed?

I would also appreciate similar recommendations for strawberries.

And now I just have to narrow down my choice of flowers... :confused:

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Hannah I guess you want to grow Toms outside ? I have always thought Shirley to be a good all rounder,excellent flavour and hardier them many others. I grow only bush types now,ideal for containers..just put seeds in today, Roma , plum tomato,used for making concentrate and tinned, no sideshooting needed, get about 2ft wide and high and always get about 10-12 trusses, per plant.I put trailing lobelia round the edges. Tall Toms are not really suitable to containers unless you give them strong support against a wall, but perhaps 3 in a growbag, but again good support is needed later.
    Wish you luck!

3. Julia2017

Julia2017 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hannah, I'm also trying to grow toms in a hanging basket. This year I've found a tumbling tomato called Gartenperle, and I'm growing from seed.
    The packet says they are easy to grow, naturally trailing, and needs no stopping or sideshooting.
    It says they are sweet and juicy, so I hope to have a good supply to pick this summer.

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi julia,

trying gartenperle myself (free with amateur gardening mag)

I think Tumbler is usually the tom of choice for baskets and containers