Container grown dwarf Cherry tree.

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by ebony2330, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ebony2330

ebony2330 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am new to growing cherry trees and require a bit of advice. I purchased a 2yr old dwarf Regina Cherry tree in April and planted it in a large container with JI No3 compost as per the instructions.

The tree has grown well developing several new shoots beyond the one that was already present on planting.

The tree is located in a southerly facing garden and gets plenty of sun in the afternoons, especially during the few periods of sun that we have had. Over the last few weeks all of the leaves (of which there are many) attached directly to the trunk have turned yellow and so have a few which are on the branches. The yellow leaves easily come off when pulled gently. Some of the larger leaves, including the green ones, have a blemish within the structure of the leave which resembles a worm. The tree has not blossomed this year and hence has not produced any fruit.

Are these issues a result of the extremely wet weather this spring/summer or does the tree have some sort of disease?

Also, what sort of fertilizer/food would be best for the tree?

Thanks.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

It all sounds about normal to me the leaves on the trunk are just old leaves starting to fall off , and you will get some pest damage to the leaves over the summer months , I am not surprised it hasnt produced flower as its concentrating its efforts on getting the roots to develop now that it has more room to grow, if me, others may use something else but a slow release fertiliser in April will tide it over for the year .
    And a top up of tomato feed once a week in the summer mixed into the watering will help .

Plus Welcome to GC

Spruce

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner:sign0016:

All of what Spruce said:dbgrtmb: plus an iron rich feed, just in case its iron deficiency causing the yellowing.

When it does set a crop, make sure you net it before the fruit is ripe, otherwise you'll have a very fat Blackbird.

4. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    Your worm damage could be leaf miner which isn't a problem unless it's a severe infestation and can be ignored. Leaf_mining.jpg

5. Steve Osbaldiston

Steve Osbaldiston Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice it has made me feel a bit more comfortable in cultivating the tree. I shall look forward to some fruit next year, hopefully!!