Container grown Tree Peony in winter

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Gardener_notme, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Gardener_notme

Gardener_notme Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I bought and planted a Tree Peony in a large pot in spring. In all the info I have read, it states that Tree Peonies need cold in winter to develope next season's blooms and are full hardy plants. However, this mostly applies to specimens planted in the ground.

There is some indications that this winter's weather will be pretty much like last year - quite prolonged cold weather with snow. Do I need to insulate the pot to prevent root damage or place some straw/bark over the crown to give it some protection??

Any feedback much appreciated. Thank you.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi GN, this thread is alongside your one about container grown Peonies so the same advice applies, except for one solution that wasn't mentioned. Some gardeners overwinter their pots of reasonably hardy container plants by digging a hole in the garden, putting the pots in them , filling around them and that does seem to work. Is that method possible for you???:scratch::D