Container Planting an Acer

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by merleworld, Mar 24, 2013.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I have recently bought a 10L 'Orange Dream' which I have allocated a large planter. However, I have read in a couple of places that you should only pot them up into a container a few inches larger than the one it's in because the roots may become waterlogged.

I have found this thread (see 9th post down) which suggests that it's not the size of the container per se, but the potting medium used. So if I use a free draining medium, can I pot it into a larger container? If so, what would be the best to use for an Acer? I was thinking a mix of ericaceous compost and John Innes No 2 or 3 - would that suffice or should I mix in some sharp sand or similar?

Also, is there any reason I can't pot it into a plastic plant pot slightly larger than its 10L container, and then bury that in a larger planter? :dunno:

Thanks in advance :blue thumb:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

John innes no 3, 3/4 and the rest a mix of multi -purpose doesn't have to be ericaceous as any lime is very quickly washed out of the soil in a pot , YES add xtra grit/sand , I put mine into the huge pots at the time and never gave it any thought they where to small to plant in a large pot it is a shrub after all , I think it will be fine , I say plant in the big pot put lots of crocks over the drainage hole as I find John Innes over time with roots etc can block the drainage holes so every Autumn I poke a stick into the drainage hole to keep them open and put the pot on to clay feet helps with the drainage .

Spruce

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      You would get a better rootball, over time, if you "pot-on" successively rather than pot straight into a large container. But I have no idea whether that would make any difference, over time, to a container-grown Acer ??