Cooked food waste in the council compost bins

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Stingo, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    My local council have introduced a scheme where we can add our waste "cooked" food into our brown bins instead of using our black bins. To help save the amount of stuff that's going into the landfills.

We are to just wrap it in one sheet of newspaper or kitchen roll so that it can all break down together.

Trouble is at the moment when there is hardly any garden stuff in there I am reluctant to do it, when I start to fill it up with garden waste I will have no problem.

I don't have that much waste food anyway as I compost veg peelings etc into my garden compost bins.

Our council do a pretty good job in recycling I must say, they will take plasic containers too which in other areas they are yet to introduce thet service.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Why not get a wormerry.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I don`t understand, Stingo, what`s the problem?

4. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    No problem David just wanted to discuss my local council and see if anyone else did this. ;)

And yes I have been thinking of getting a wormery, but they can be a bit expensive.

But I haven't got a problem...not of the gardening type anyway :D

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We've got two wormeries Stingo and they are just normal "Dalek" bins (first one was free from council). We put a handful of fishing worms in about 5 years ago and they've been chomping away very successfully ever since.

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Our concil has the same policy Stingo. It probably means that your council, like ours, is sending the waste for processing into methane. This is then burnt to generate electriciy.

7. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I made a low cost wormery using some paving slabs, set vertically to contain an area 2ft wide x 2ft hight X 6ft long, on a soil base (any liquid drains away in to the ground). Started at one end with vegetable s****s plus some red worms from an angling shop (rag worms?). Continued adding s****s, some fibre, and water, so that the pile gradually grew from one end to the other, by which time the starting end was compost. Covered the whold thing with a weighed down plastic sheet to keep it damp and keep out the birds, rats etc. Worked well and gave good compost, but needed more tending than dumping waste in the council bin, so I stopped.

8. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I made a low cost wormery using some paving slabs, set vertically to contain an area 2ft wide x 2ft hight X 6ft long, on a soil base (any liquid drains away in to the ground). Started at one end with vegetable s****s plus some red worms from an angling shop (rag worms?). Continued adding s****s, some fibre, and water, so that the pile gradually grew from one end to the other, by which time the starting end was compost. Covered the whold thing with a weighed down plastic sheet to keep it damp and keep out the birds, rats etc. Worked well and gave good compost, but needed more tending than dumping waste in the council bin, so I stopped.

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  10. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    my council deffo say no to anykind of kitchen produced waste. I dont actually know what they do with the green wste as I asked today if I can buy compost off them but they told me they dont sell it. Think I will ask tomorrow what they do with it

11. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    l-g, there seems to be two different systems. Our council accepts cooked food waste because our garden/food waste is sent for processing into methane gas, which is used to generate electricity. Other councils refuse cooked food s****s because they compost the garden/uncooked food waste. Some councils will sell the resultant compost back to the consumer, while in other council areas it is used by their own parks departments.

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Or even in large scale land reclamation work.

13. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm not sure what Camden do about cooked food waste - they do supply compost bins for garden waste! When I got mine they were giving them away for free, I think I had to pay a nominal sum of £5.00 for the base. I also compost most of my kitchen waste, as it is mainly vegetable peelings.

At the moment my plants are no doubt enjoying the downpour, though I am not!

14. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    My council [West Wilts.] had a special offer earlier in the year of compost bins with meshed bottoms and tight fitting lids that you can put food waste in, whether cooked or uncooked. It needs some plant compost with it [about 1/3] but I have difficulty producing enough food waste as I live on my own and it is working perfectly well. It is easier than a wormery as it needs no management, rats etc can't get in because of the construction, so I am very happy. It cost me £25 delivered; you can buy privately but v. expensive. It's called a 'Green Johanna'.
    I now have 4 compost bins- a Dalek, a standard slatted wood, the johanna, and a fast turnaround rotating one, and manage to keep them all on the go. They all have loads of worms in.
    As I recycle tins, some plastic, cardboard and paper at the local tip i have one small wheelie bin every fortnight for landfill.

15. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you had the chance again would you choose a rotarybin over the others.?