Copper Tape

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by badsal72, Feb 25, 2007.

1. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have raised beds and intend to put the copper tape around them to stop slugs and snails eating my salad stuff.

Has anybody used copper tape before - is it effective?

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yes it works I use it on my pots usually put two rings of tape with a 1cm gap it seems to work better than a single run,it is expensive but worth it

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    compostee put this up yesterday:

A copper scouring pad unravelled and stuck round pots, table legs etc stop snails climbing, Don't pull it too tight.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have used copper tape for several years now, also the unravelled copper scouring pads.
    I don't know if anyone else has the problem I do with copper tape- I can't get it stick on some pots as it expands in the sun and falls off! Where I can get it to stay it works reasonably well. In the case of containers, watch out for overlapping leaves/ branches from other pots and borders which slugs and snails will use as a bridge.
    The copper wire from scouring pads lasts about a season as it corrodes, it is fiddly but cheap. Once it corrodes I would think the corroded layer would protect the slugs etc. from the tiny shock. You can also strip plastic from cables and use the copper wire inside in the same way.
    I use copper wire and tape, fine grit, ground eggshells with slug stoppa and dried minced garlic added round the plants ,and anything else anyone recommends. No one thing works but the combination means I get some crops!

I haven't yet tried the copper matting that's available now, see
    http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slugextra.htm
    as it is expensive, but intend to try it out this year.

5. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments. I have already paid the expense for the copper tape, so I will put it on before I plant out in the next few weeks. I will of course let you all know how I get on!!