Coppicing large willow advice please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sezzle, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Sezzle

Sezzle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have a native willow, I think it's a grey willow, that is getting too big for its boots. It's about 10ft tall and the trunk is about 4" across. Is it too big to coppice? Can I just hack it down to say 6" above the ground? I presume I need to cut it at an angle to help the water run off. Do I need to cut anywhere in particular?
    Thank you!

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Willow is supposed to be at least three years old before you coppice it. If yours is 4 inches thick then I think its a safe bet that it is mature enough. Sorry, can't advise about where to cut though, although I hope someone can because I'd be interested to know this too.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: treesurfer78 is the one to advise you as he is a qualified tree surgeon & Is always ready to advise & help.. You could always send him a PM if he isn't about....

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Why not polard it?

It will coppice fine although you want to do it very soon as its getting late in the season, a slight angle on your cut.

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We got one that I planted in a damp corner of the garden. It's now about 8" across the trunk and it's pollarded at a height of about 7 feet. I cut most of the new growth which can be quite substantial, every winter.

6. vineman

vineman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I love willow, its almost indistructable.
    If you put a small branch into the ground it will take root and grow.
    I have a killmarnoch willow 5ft tall m planted 1 year ago, it has put amazing growth on.

7. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Sezzle,

You could coppice the tree, but I wouldn't recommend 'hacking' it as you say - That will just cause all sorts of problem. A nice clean cut will suffice. Also, if you do chose to go down this road be prepared for multi-stem regrowth and constant coppicing thereafter. Can I ask what makes it 'too big for it's boots'? Can you not carry out other pruning techniques to make it more manageable?

Cheers,
    Matthew