Cordyline, Phormium and Yucca

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by longk, Jun 12, 2017.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Has anyone else noticed that it seems to be a bumper year for blooming Cordylines, Phormiums and Yucca? Almost every one that I have seen around here is blooming or in bud. It's very rare to see a Cordyline bloom in these parts and Yuccas struggle to bloom completely before the frosts. We've had quite a lot of frosts since christmas, several at -3°c or cooler with a low of -7°c.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,324
      Yep it seems a good year here also, my cordyline is flowering well, so are a lot of others in the area, mine usually does flower well though.
      Just hope, regarding cordyline it doesn't mean a lot of them are about to die in the next year or two.
      I lost two big ones a few years ago, I'm not sure why, but they flowered like crazy for a couple of years before dieing back to the roots, also noticed aerial roots forming high up, but didn't see the significance at the time.

Phormiums, once established seem to flower quite well around here, although it's not a plant that I have.

Yuccas always flower well, different species seem to flower at different times, I find filamentosa and flaccida always flower around now, gloriosa around mid summer.

I've got a large clump of Aloifolia which I must admit struggles to get it's flowers in before first frost, also a plant that I think is recurvifolia that very rarely opens it's flowers properly as the spikes form in October/November time.:smile:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Yes it's true......even a phormium I divided is flowering. A large phormium has masses of flowers.....not esp attractive are they but fascinating :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Do you mean one of these ...

CIMG0005.JPG

• Like Like x 2
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486