Corn Cob

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Scotkat, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Just had fresh cob for starter not home grown but did get me thinking me I could grow them.

Would I grow from seed myself or are they readily available as plants.

2. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I got mine from Wilkinsons,(seeds)Scotkat.Special variety.AND..its buy one get one free!!I`ve used the same as last yr cos they did well.They went straight in the cold frame and will stay till i plant them out.

3. weekend gardener

weekend gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Started planting my tomatoe seeds money maker, last week in a small plastic unheated greenhouse but after reading on the forum, about sowing in the warmth i bought them indoors.

This week i have sown brussels, caulflower, early potatoes (rocket),which i planted in a small bed outside, after planting the potatoes i made a mound of soil on the top as suggested by a friend. Other seeds i have sown outdoors were broccali, spring onions and radishes. Then the others which were lettuce, spring onions, again and radishes, and peppers, i put indoors.I put some in seed containers some in an egg tray,and others in milk canisters, then i covered them in clear plastic.

I have bought parsnips and sweetcorn but it said on the packet to sow in april, but being as they will be indoors, could i sow these next week?

I was telling a friend that i was putting one tomatoe seed in one pot so i don't have a lot of thinning out, but she said you need to put more in, in case some don't germinate, i was trying to save time as i work all week and only have the weekends to do them.

I bought a water spray from wilko's and set it for a fine mist to water the seeds, i tend to over water and often the seeds die,or i under water, so i am trying to be more careful this time as it's my first try of sowing veg/salad, except years ago when i grew tomotoes, but when i grew lettuce it bolted,

I bought some onion seeds and sown these too, but then i read on the forum about onion sets and didn't know what that meant, then i saw them in wilko's so did i do the wrong thing buying them in seeds? and can you tell me, is it too early to sow peas and green beans?

I am sowing everything in containers, and read about growing in tyres so have got four of those which i have prepared, i have also prepared some pots and milk canisters which was suggested on the forum. This was done yesterday, with the help of 2 small brothers of 7 and 10 years old plus a cousin of around 12 years, who live across the road from us.
    They were out playing and came into our garden, at first i thought i'm too busy to talk to them as i wanted to get all the jobs done in the garden, but they asked me if they could help, i think they were a bit bored, so i set them on, and they really helped by digging up some soil to put into the tyres. Then they wanted to put the seeds in my seed containers,and write on the labels, and then they watered my other plants, they really enjoyed it. I brought them a drink outside and buscuits while they had fun on our garden swing. One of the boys said our garden was a wonderland,that made me feel good, it's makes all the hard work worth while with such praise. I hope all my veg etc grows so i can give their parents some of them.

My strawberries are growing new leaves and there are buds on my new bluberry plants, but nothing doing yet on the raspberries, gooseberries, tayberry, loganberry or blackberries yet.

4. Time

Time Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you had a great time !
    I also do tomatoes one seed at a time and 99 per cent germinate, sure it cant be just me it works for as i am no expert.
    I also grow onions from seeds and sets, anyway,goodluck and isnt it nice to get started on the sowing at last.

5. weekend gardener

weekend gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Time, yes it is good to get started now, and it's exciting. A friend at work brought me some late potatoes today, and some red onion sets, I've never tried those, she said she wouldn't have any others.

6. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Home-grown sweetcorn eaten within minutes of picking is one of the best things about growing your own veg. It'd definitely be one of my desert island crops!
    I've definitely seen young plants for sale but I grew it from seed the first year I ever grew veg with no problems. I even grew it in a tray and let it get far too big before transplanting, ti's supposed to hate having its roots disturbed but mine had all matted together, and I STILL got a great crop. Beginners luck!
    I'd think it's a bit early for sweetcorn yet, though, even if started undercover?
    I seem to think I sowed mine around mid-april and then planted out towards the end of May, through holes in a black plastic sheet I'd put down to warm the soil. However, I committed the heinous crime of not keeping a record so aggravatingly I can't really be sure (Will do better this year!) - and anyway it might've been fine if I'd put it in earlier, of course.
    LOL, the first time I sowed cherry tomatoes, I thought the first sowing hadn't germinates so I bunged the whole packet in and then of course the whole lot did! Tomato seedlings everywhere! :D

7. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last year I grew that many cherry tomatos that we needed to eat at least 20 a day every day !
    It wasnt a problem haha
    I love them and cant wait for them to grow

8. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    So Claire75 do I still have time ot sow sweetcorn seeds or should I try to get plants.

9. azadaman

azadaman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You have plenty of time to sow sweetcorn.
    You better had cos I aint started mine yet.

10. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say that not only do you still have time, but it's a bit early yet. I'll be sowing mine in cell inserts or loo rolls inside around mid-april to plant out mid to late may when the soil's got warmer and there are highly unlikely to be frosts - you may even want to leave it a bit later in the wilds of scotland than I will here in the flatlands. But do bear in mind i'm no expert, just going on what I remember doing [​IMG]