corn on the cob

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alpine, Aug 14, 2010.

1. alpine

alpine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am growing some corn on the cob, plants are growing well and some plants have produced what I thought must be the cob from the top. These are about 6 inches long and look like ears of wheat. Now I have noticed some plants are growing something which looks more like a corn cob, covered with whispy bits so am wondering what the first plants are if I should be doing anything with them. I am sorry I haven't described this very well and I hope someone will understand!

Thanks.

2. Flighty

Flighty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The 'ears of wheat' are the tassels which drop pollen onto the cobs lower down. The whispy bits on the cobs are silks which will turn dark brown when ripe. To see if they are gently pull back part of the cob sheath and squeeze a grain or two with your fingernails. If the liquid is creamy then it is, if runny then it's not and if doughy then you've waited too long.
    Pick, cook and enjoy!

3. alpine

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much, I was beginning to wonder what I was growing!

4. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, you dont need to do anything, thay sound good.
    The cobs will grow at leaf bases and when the silks die back they are ready.
    Enjoy, fresh sweetcorn is the best :)

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I understand Alpine.
    The "ears of wheat" growing out the top are not the cobs.
    They are the male part of the plant which produces the pollen.
    Look further down the plant - hopefully you will soon see shoots coming out of the axles - these are the corn cobs.
    They will make tassles coming out the top and hopefully the pollen from the top of the plant will pollinate them and corn cobs will appear.
    Last year I got 2 good cobs from each plant with a third one which didn't come to much. I think the problem was by the time the third one came along the plant had run out of pollen - it does it in showers.
    Just a suggestion, but if you want to try, shake some of the pollen into a poly bag and sprinkle it over the 3rd cob.
    Nothing to loose and an extra corn cob to gain.
    Good luck.

6. alpine

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the information and suggestions, I will have a look tomorrow and see if there is anything else growing.