Cornflowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ingrid Fox-Fyfe, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Ingrid Fox-Fyfe

Ingrid Fox-Fyfe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone, it another beautiful day. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they do with their cornflowers once they are past their best? I don't want to do the wrong thing as they are such a beautiful and vibrant addition to the garden. I want to do the best thing so that they are just as lovely next year. Suggestions would be really appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    00000000000000000000000000015810Hi Ingrid,

Can you tell us what you are growing as Cornflowers .... Centauria ...... can be either perennial or annual.

If they're the perennial type ( C. Montana, C. Dealbata, C. Macrocephala ) then just deadhead them and tidy up any dead leaves etc.

If they're the annual ones ( C. Cyanus ) then if you carry on deadheading them or cutting them for cut flowers they will flowervall Summer. Then, at then of Summer or beginning of Autumn just pull them out and dispose of them.

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    can we be nosey and ask where you are based, Ingrid?

4. Ingrid Fox-Fyfe

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Anthony. Thank you so much for your reply. I think they must be perennial because they have flowered the last couple of years (since we have lived in this house). Unfortunately, this year, a couple of sections have completely collapsed because of the height of the flowers. It's a shame [emoji17] I suppose what I should be asking is...with the collapsed sections, can I cut them down to the ground now? If I do, will they come again next year?

5. Ingrid Fox-Fyfe

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm based in Central Scotland.

6. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389