Corrugated iron roof replacement

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Dec 18, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Apologies if this post isn't in the right place but hoping someone can advise me asap. I have a field shelter with old corrugated roof on it. The corrugated roof has some holes in it and the shelter is no longer waterproof.

I have bought new corrugated iron to replace the roof and started on the task today. To my horror I have found the fixings to the old roof are big screws with domed heads (no way of unscrewing them that I know of, not got right tool?) and it will be a huge task to try and prize the screws up enough to maybe grind through them. This would also take a huge amount of time as the field shelter is quite big.

My question is can I place the new sheets on top of the old ones? Ok it may not be exactly the right thing to do but as long as the fixings I've got are long enough to go through both sheet and into the wooden cross beams I can't see it is such a bad idea. I have taken some "patches off the existing roof and of course it is now raining!!!!! so I have currently made matters worse not better. Hope some clever person can tell me that I can put the new sheets on top of the old. Thanks.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The fixings are probably twisted nails rather than screws, only way to get them out would be with a crow bar, which would mess the old sheets up even more.

If you can hammer them in so they're not standing proud then there's no reason you cant go straight on top with the new sheets, as long as they're the same profile :)

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,997
      I would say it's no big problem putting new sheets on top of old. It won't look very nice from the inside but I guess that isn't an issue. The only problem I can think of is the old stuff may be going rusty or have damaged edges that could scratch/spread to the new and shorten it's life.

• Like Like x 2
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thank you so much Zigs and JWK. Zigs you are right the old attachments are some sort of nails as managed to get 1 out after about 1/2 an hour trying. WELL most of the roof is on, on top of the old 1 and I got the old attachments battered down to be pretty flush as per your suggestion Zigs . Good god what a job. NOTHING about the field shelter is square so it was absolutely ghastly trying to guess where the cross beams to screw into were. I have a nasty feeling I have not improved what was already there:wallbanging:. I kept missing the cross members by mms and therefore had to put another screw in right next door to the 1 that I'd missed.

Thankfully I have no neighbours as the language was choice around here for the last couple of hours. I am definitely getting too old for these kind of jobs. At 62 and female the last time I looked:) I think I am going to retire from doing heavy labour. I didn't find moving the metal sheets too difficult when on the ground, trying to manhandle them up a ladder was another ballgame altogether. I am now lying in a darkened room trying to recover:rolleyespink:.

If only the good old fashioned handy men still existed, their demise necessitated me doing DIY in the 1st place.
        I'll finish the roof off tomorrow and prey that when it rains my efforts don't prove to be as successful as a colander:heehee:!!!!

So good of both of you to give me great advice, much appreciated. Know an good remedies for a shoulder which is complaining bitterly!?

• Like Like x 3
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +48,997
          Well done silu, sounds like a good job. Whisky will fix that shoulder :)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +803
            LOL ... you mean me, or a good old Black Bush Irish??? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
            • silu

Ratings:
              +8,083
              Not sure either whis4ey ! All I do know is that my hangover thanks to a few drams of Grouse is now MUCH worse than the pain in my shoulder!.....your fault JWK for making the suggestion:)Despite the weather being fine and sunny I am not going to finish the roof this morning as planned, my head wouldn't stand the noise of drilling the roofing nails into the corrugated iron. I've had a couple of lightly poached Alka Seltzers and hoping the critical stage will pass enough for me to finish the wretched job this afternoon. That said the prognosis is more likely that I won't feel even vaguely human again until tomorrow earliest! Hoping the wind doesn't get up before I'm finished as some of my handy work might end up off the shelter and if that happened I might really hit the bottle:yikes:

• Like Like x 2
              • raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +167
                I had similar thoughts when it came to my birdroom/aviary...Whether to remove the old felt or not.I decided not as the weather over the last week has been so unpredictable.Not exactly the same problem with steel sheets on a flat surface,and in your case this time of year I would have gone over the top with the new sheets.
                I've been out today to finish off the edges...but the wind is too cold .The bonus in my case is that the sheets were off an old factory...for free :hapydancsmil:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
                • silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  Raebhoop, your job looks a good deal more professional than mine! I too tried to source some 2nd hand corrugated sheets and duly found some.Was about to purchase said used sheets when my daughter mentioned that the sheets would have holes in them from where they had been drilled through before and the chances of the holes matching where |I needed to attach them would be zero.:doh:what a twit, they'd have been useless, knew having children would eventually be a good idea! Love the photos of your menagerie.

• raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +167
                  The sheets I used had holes in the wrong places too...After fixing I used pop rivets with rubber washers on all the old holes....Boom! Boom! :yes:

• silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  Smart ar..! I'll stick to plants in future I think but well done you for knowing how to make use of 2nd hand sheets.