Cosmic Garden Experience - a one off!

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by JarBax, May 5, 2007.

1. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Garden Of Cosmic Speculation

It is very short notice - but for anybody in the vicinity - or within travelling distance, the Garden Of Cosmic Speculation by architect, Charles Jenks is open tomorrow Sunday 6th May 12 noon til 5pm. It is open to the public for one day only every year, with proceeds going to the Maggie Centres - after Maggie Keswick, Jenks' sife who died of cancer, and for whom he created the gardens.

It is an utterly unique garden - 'The Garden of Cosmic Speculation' is a design feat of enormous proportion, with twisted, undulated land forms and tarraces, geometric kitchen garden of sixth senses, woodland walks and a rail garden to name a few of the incredible 'features'. A garden like no other!

http://www.gardensofscotland.org/GardenDetails.aspx?GardenID=712

I had the immense fortune to work here a couple of years ago. It was a truly spiritual experience, and a real privilage to walk along the paths, dig the slopes and pull the weeds in such a wildly beautiful place in the middle of our beautiful countryside.

People travel from across the globe to visit this remarkable garden - if you can make it - you'll not be disappointed!

[ 06. May 2007, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Webmaster ]

2. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    [​IMG] Thankyou so much Webmaster - the thread is now legible! [​IMG]

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Not long back from the open day - it was fabulous!

Is this the place to post pics etc - or do I make a new thread somewhere else?

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,167
    [​IMG] Bring em on.This is just the place JarBux.

5. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks roders!

This may take some time, as I have SO many pictures! It is such a special garden - I just couldn't help myself.

Here are the best...

This first picture is a small taste of things to come:

[​IMG]

The garden's boundary on one side is the railway line between Carlisle and Glasgow. In recent years, the line has been moved several yards further from the boundary (don't ask me why!), a new bridge was built, and the owners of the garden asked if they could keep a small portion of the old bridge. They did, and used it as part of an amazing 'feature' reaching out towards the river Nith - which creates an adjacent boundary.

[​IMG]

Jenks also managed to get the bridge painted red. It really ties in with a lot of the structures at this side of the garden!

My son at the top of the 'buttocks' (I kid you not!) - overlooking the bridge and river - one of the many landforms in Portrack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/jarbax/IMG_1096.jpg[/img][/url]

And appreciating the perspective of the new structure built on the old bridge structure.
    [​IMG]

[ 06. May 2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: JarBax ]

6. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    As my rotated picture above doesn't seem to have rotated in this post, that may reduce my picture load a fair bit!

This view gives a glimpse of things ahead in the garden:

[​IMG]

Worked this time?

[​IMG]

7. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    OK - it doesn't like the buttock one! [​IMG]

Another view through the trees:

[​IMG]

and of the trees:

[​IMG]

Silver birch plantation:

[​IMG]

and the first real view of the landforms:

[​IMG]

8. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Another bridge:

[​IMG]

and more fabulous views:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  10. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Alonside the beautiful and jaw-dropping landscapes, there are many amazing details and 'features', I am kicking myself now that I didn't photograph them all - but here is a small selection of some awe-inspiring aspects:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for sharing this with those of us not fortunate enough to visit JarBax.

12. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,167
    [​IMG] What an interesting place JB,certainly some food for thought,and some off the wall ideas with a dash of tradition.Must be a big problem cutting some of the grass :D

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I absolutely MUST visit that! I usually go to Castle Douglas via Loch Ken, for sentimental, nostalgia reasons, but I'll go down the parallel road next time to get there! Looks well worth a visit :D

I had heard of the Maggie Centres, but didn't know who Maggie was. Thanks for all that, Jarbax :cool:

14. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You're welcome! and there's more to come!

Dendro - the garden is only officially open one day a year, though with a phonecall, you can often ask for a private peek! PM me if you'd like the details.

Now to upload more of the photos...

15. redfifi1717

redfifi1717 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What great photos and a fabulous place to visit, and even better to have worked there, ..what a privalege. Yes I love the wavy hedges....just imagining what could be done with the hedges where I work! lol....