Cost of someone laying turf for me!!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by t11cky, May 21, 2010.

1. t11cky

t11cky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I am sure most of you will think what a lazy useless so and so!!
    I am still debating whether to reseed or have it returfed, I have just been outside and measured my garden and I need aproximatly 90sqm of turf if I have it all returfed.
    I know I will also need some top soil to try and level it all off. If I buy the turf and top soil, how much do you roughly think I will be talking to pay someone to actually come in and level it off and do the returfing roughly???
    Also the cost of the turf is looking around £220 roughly from places on the net, are these good prices for a turf that is reasonably hardwearing to cope with kids and a dog and a fair bit of shade???
    I know reseeding will work out loads cheaper but also loads slower and it would be so nice to have a half decent lawn for everyone to enjoy ina matter of a few weeks rather than a few months!!!
    And please tell me if you think I am asking for a rough price for someone to do a job that you honestly think any useless bloke can do!!! :flag:

2. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    most turf sold is for regular non-shade lawns.

Seeding offers the ability to have the seed that meets your requirements which with kids requires a tough grass which doesn't mix well with shade.

Also seed is generally sown April and Sept.

Get a quote from a local turf supplier who should also give advice and be honest

3. Osbaldwick

Osbaldwick Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    t11cky I sympathise with you. After spending several years trying to revive a relatively small lawn I took the plunge a couple of months ago and had it turfed. Now I have a green lush carpet. It was well worth it.

We have a friend who is a landscape gardener and he did it for us so I can't really advise you on cost. What I would say is that if you are laying turf at this time of year you must absolutely and religously water it every day until it gets established.