Cothey2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Cothey2, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Cothey2

Cothey2 Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good evening folks, I'm sure I am the only person, I nearly said gardener who does not know if I have to support "Broad beans" they must be 5" well 4" high so should I or not? that is the question.

2. firsttimer

firsttimer Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    One way i was told is that if you have sown a double row like you should do the best thing to do is place canes just as high all the way round them at regular intervals then with some garden string or twine place 3 lines of string top middle and bottom to keep the broads from toppeling over. I was lucky last year i grew The Sutton nice little dwarf variety just watch out for the black fly. anybody else got any good ideas.

3. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Like what he said! :heehee:

Broad beans stems are quite fragile so my Dad used to drill a series of holes in pieces of 2" x 2" then drive them in about 3' - 4' apart fairly close to the plants before threading garden wire through the holes thus making a 'cage'.

Just as a BTW, he'd make sure these stakes were quite tall so that he could drape some netting over the top to keep the birds off.