Cotinus 'Young Lady' cuttings - what to do?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by akwe-xavante, Sep 5, 2024.

1. akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    A few years ago i bought three Cotinus 'Young Lady' plants online, they arrived looking dead. I got my money back, but i attempted to rescue them.

Two of them remained dead, one remained a tad promising insofar as its main stem stayed green over winter and sported the smallest of growth the following year and poor growth the year after

Spring 2024 (three years later) it has started to grow well, so i took some cuttings late spring (June, July), and they are now (September) just starting to show some roots out the bottom of the pot and the leaves are turning a deep red colour.

Normally i would empty the pot and pot them on, but being a little nervous about losing them, i'm not sure what to do............. Do it or wait until the spring? Put them in the greenhouse or leave them outside.

Really don't want to lose them. What would you do?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,979
    This is where a ventilated cold frame comes in handy.
    Cuttings rooted this late are better left alone overwinter and potted on around March as growth is starting IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • akwe-xavante

akwe-xavante Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +34
      IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1673.JPG IMG_1678.JPG

Four cuttings in the pot.

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,459
      They won't grow a lot over winter, so leaving them till spring to separate should be fine. I would keep them undercover but without artificial heat, and check them periodically for dryness. You don't want the compost to be wet, but equally the roots need some moisture.

• Agree Agree x 2