Cotoneaster Cornubia shaping

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gay Gardener, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Wondering if anyone has a shaped C. Cornubia and a picture to show?

Mine is a few years old, about 8-9ft and I've let it mature fairly naturally with two main trunks in a V and slightly shaped like a V. It is very healthy but looks a bit scruffy and I think it could look a lot nicer with proper shaping.

So now I'm wanting to shape it more and would like something like a vase shape (narrow around the main trunks and widening towards an umbrella shaped top) or similar shape I think which would suit its situation. I think the traditional shape with these is either a standard or as a hedge.

I'm got a fair idea on how I'm going to approach it, but would like to see an example if anyone has one before I take the plunge (can't seem to find an example to follow online either). It is in the front garden so want to minimise botch potential.

Thanks
    GG

2. Gay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Well thanks for the interest and your very fascinating replies :snork:

This purchase has been a complete disaster, it is vigorous but is looks a mess nearly year round with branches constantly growing out from odd and unsightly angles. I'm afraid it is for the chop as it is in a prominent position at the front of the house. Irritating but a lesson learned.

Next thing, what to buy to put in its place. Will need something that is approx 6ft tall on purchase and hopefully a fattish columnar shape to fit it with the other plants. Will have to pop up to the local nursery to see what they have ...

GG

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,075
      Not a plant I have grown, but dont think you can kill it by pruning, so why not experiment and show us how you get on.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,889
        • Like Like x 1
        • Gay Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,978
          Well, I hate to admit it, but I think it was just a daft idea.

I have been pruning and pruning to keep it in shape and train it to something worth looking at and there is a slight improvement but I think it is the nature of the beast so to speak, the open habit of the shrub, the way the branches grow and the angles that the branchlets shoot (often at right angles) out are, frankly, awkward and ugly.

@Sheal I think the taxus is a good possibility I will put that on my short-list.

Thanks
          GG

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,889
            Oh well, you win some you lose some!

Here's my Taxus 'Fastigiata'. Now almost 6ft tall which is supposedly it's top height and approximately 2ft across, it's still filling out slightly. This one doesn't produce berries.

Taxus 'Fastigiata'.JPG

• Like Like x 3
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +92,075
              I've got a couple of those, think mine is "area" has yellow new growth in spring.
              The nearest one was planted in about 1987, the furthest is a cutting from that plant.

Both have been cut back drastically a couple of times over the years, they would be much bigger otherwise, both due to be hacked back yet again this spring.

They can get quite wide, but do keep their upright habit.

Snow can be a problem as it can deform the branches and they tend to hang sideways then, but a few strands of twine tends to keep them in place. DSC_0018.JPG

• Like Like x 3
              • Gay Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,978
                It is a deceased Cotoneaster which is a bit of a shame but even the gaping hole is better than the shrub itself, so had to be bad.
                I went to the local nursery to see what they had - nowt it being too early in the season. Will definitely keep the Taxus in mind. I'm wondering if I do if I will have to look into ordering online for delivery as I don't think I've seen anything 6ft ish locally ... be a new experience as never ordered something like that online before.

When I was doing a recce on the Taxus I was a bit concerned about the soil I havewhich in that spot is fairly thin and sandy and difficult because of location to really get deep into to make a good bed of nice composty stuff to give it a good start.

Thanks
                GG

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,889
                  Mine hasn't had a problem with sandy soil GG. :) If you decide to go for a larger Taxus may I suggest you give it some support or shelter until it's roots are established. They are quite dense, heavy plants and will suffer in strong winds.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Gay Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,978
                    Thanks Sheal, that gives me a bit of confidence with the soil situation. Defo need guy wires if I'd put it in lately so that is also a good tip until established.

GG

• Friendly Friendly x 1