Could I get some answers to my newbie questions?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Anthony, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Only 3 questions to demonstrate my ignorance ... :D

1. Being a total thicko, I didn't realise that leaving leaves on the lawn would do it any damage. I picked a few up and there were bare patches underneath. I was just wondering whether the patches will eventually get filled in or if I should put down some seed. If it's the later, then when?

2. Having learnt my lesson i'm on a mission to make sure my lawn remains leaf free. Not really knowing much about rakes could anyone recommend some good rakes?

3. I laid my lawn during the summer and it looked beautiful. Now it's winter i've noticed my lawn doesn't look as nice. It's a mixture of both green and brown blades. (hope that make some kind of sense) Is this normal? I just need a little reassurance that the lawn will look nice come summer.

[ 05. December 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Anthony ]

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Once grass growth is under way use a spring-tine rake (has fine wires in a fan shape)to very lightly scarify the lawn and remove any dead stuff. Next autumn you can give it a good going over again to remove dead thatch and moss. First year I would also only give half strength feeds and no selective weed killer, save that for the second year once the root system is established.

One reason for poor grass is leatherjackets and if a flock of starlings descend in the spring they will be winkling the devils out but unfortunately a lot of damage will already be done. Providing infestation is not too severe it won't be disasterous and the lawn should recover.

Another major damage to lawns is caused by walking on frosted areas which breaks and damages the growth crown. You will see this especially where kids have rolled up snow to make snowmen and the brown tracks will take some time to grow out. Snow protects the lawn and is best left to melt away naturally (if possible :D )

Some leaves do inhibit growth (by blocking light and also chemical release) so they are best removed with the rake before a carpet builds up. Grass is tough stuff though, it can survive periods of wet and drought with constant mowing while its growing; preferably with a dead sharp cylinder mower + grassbox (which is more gentle on a new lawn than a rotary)

It takes a lot to kill grass so don't worry, your lawn should be OK again next year with a bit of TLC.

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Good post, frogesque. I learned a lot!!! [​IMG]

4. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advise frogesque! You've put my mind at ease. :D