Could somebody please ID this tree?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by TheHound, Jun 8, 2015.

1. TheHound

TheHound Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just joined as am really after ID on a tree type. I'm in a new build and garden was complete blank canvas so am busy stocking and landscaping.

I have the back corner of the garden to do to block out an adjoining house as much as possible.

I am after something non invasive to put in that won't find water in the adjoining house, but is pretty fast growing.

. image.jpg image.jpg

These trees have been put in close to houses, so am guessing their ok, so would like to know exact species if possible.

I was guessing silver birch but could be wrong.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

Not got me books handy, but it looks like a Beam, Hornbeam possibly :)

Are the underside of the leaves whitish?

3. TheHound

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Zigs, thanks!

Not white underneath but a staggered pattern and texture (the white colour is light reflecting on pic)

image.jpg

The contractors have put in lots of them, all 12-15ft, so am guessing it would be quite a cost effective tree!

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not the right shape for a Whitebeam, so pretty sure it's a Hornbeam :)

I'd check with the contractors if possible as they can grow up to 20 metres high :yikes:

5. TheHound

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, comparing the leaf online, you're right!

What is the root system on these like? I'm guessing not too bad considering how close these have been put to new properties (can see in above picture)

I need something for a shaded corner and was thinking along these lines. I have a photinia there just now but it's not doing very well.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ta :)

Generally the roots spread as far as the canopy covers, unless they get short of water and make a bee line for the nearest drain or, in my case the veg plot when the Ash tree gets thirsty :biggrin:

7. TheHound

Ratings:
    +1
    Yea, there is a drain not too far the other way from that adjoining house, so I might take the gamble!

8. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Planners very often have a standard condition requiring the planting proposals for new build schemes to be submitted and approved sometime after the initial consent, so there might be full details of the planting scheme on your Local Planning Authority's website.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
      +247
      Agree with it being a hornbeam. The crown often grows quite densely, so be aware of any potential light loss in the future.

• TheHound

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks folks, I put one in about a metre tall and will keep it behaving.

Not the most pleasing on the eye, but it works in the ground it's living in!