council compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by misterroy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. misterroy

misterroy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, anybody use the council's compost from the green bin? Any good?

2. Clematis

Clematis Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm just about to get some - I'll let you know what I think when I've got it :)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,994
    Not sure exactly what your "green bin" is, but I've used some compost that our local council made (from collections of households green waste). It looked good. I used it as a mulch, it was a bit too co@rse to use for much else.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Don't think I would use it people put anything in their green bins diseased plants that in some cases should be burned,pernicious weeds,I don't know the method they use to compost it but I wouldn't trust them to be 100% efficient in anything they do.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,994
    What also worries me is the weedkillers/pesticides that may be present, anyone could put anything in there. I'm not sure if heat would destroy the chemicals that destroyed my veg patch this year, after I bought some contaminated compost :(

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    What winds me up is that they charge you, after charging you for collecting it, after fining you for not giving it them they then charge you to get it back-and like Walnut said-I chuck all the diseased stuff in there, I don`t want it back.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have to admit everything that I don't want to compost myself i.e. lawn cuttings when treated with feed and weed etc. goes in the green bin so knowing what I do put in I wouldn't dream of getting any compost from the council, let them keep it! Hel.xxx.

8. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have changed my mind about getting council compost after reading the above posts.:cnfs::scratch:

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Good idea-you can`t trust the local councils at all. Did anyone see that programme a little while ago, the council collected recyclable paper that council tax payers had gathered together as per orders, then when they got it back, somehow it all ended up lobbed in to a land fill site in India along with the normal rubbish.

They are lying theiving disreputable cowboys.

10. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Why not go and work for your council or become a local councillor and see what life's like from the other side?

My local council sells soil conditioner (which I guess is the same as compost) and it works fine. I've used it for years with no ill effects and its only disadvantage is that sometimes, the texture is too fine, almost like soot.

11. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    At college they use the council compost and it's excellent as a soil conditioner:thumb: we were using it today to add to our plots while we were single digging

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

I used to work for the local council Flinty, much like insurance-I won`t go there again.

13. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I wouldn`t use council compost, all those blighted tomatoes and potatoes. Grass clippings treated with weed and mosskiller. No thank you.

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I seem to remember seeing a TV programme on this,and the place they was using had massive heaps of the stuff, the temperatures that they were managing to get inside the heaps was amazing.

They then sifted the stuff and the co**** stuff was put back in to be composted again along with the new stuff..
    That was a lot of STUFF, I know but, it seemed to work.

I guess some councils maybe better at stirring the stuff than others.:D

Cant even say C o a r s e anymore:scratch:

15. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Never have been able to, Pete:thumb: Have a chat to a Mod about it:D