Country file BBC Competition

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    It makes me laugh, when they have the Calendar photo comp
    "You could win £500 worth of camera equipment"

Every winner yet has used a £3k plus camera, along with a £6k lens :-) mind the £500 would be fine towards some A3 photo paper

Then they show you John Craven leaping around the scene with an instamatic or you just watch the rest of the programme and see what fantastic shots the BBC cameramen are taking

I am unsure of the last winner a pic of a Badger walking up a country lane in broad daylight with a phot stood there it must be one sleepless, careless badger eh ziggy

Jack McH

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      I personally know the guy who won it last year, with his picture of the dell. He instantly became a local celebrity round here over night and as far as I know it took him a few months before he got his prize.

He was using a medium range secondhand Pentax DSLR camera. But he has tons of enthusiasm for taking photographs of everything.

He even took a picture with me in it last January (I'm the back figure in the foreground). I was talking to him before hand and then he told me to go inside but walk really slowly.

[​IMG]

I think if you have enough enthusiasm then it can overpower the limitations in the equipment you have.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,650
        Thurrock man wins Countryfile calendar competition

A PHOTOGRAPH taken in Langdon Hills Country Park has won this year’s BBC Countryfile photographic competition.

Taken by Bill Robinson, the photo captures a carpet of bluebells, framed by trees, in Coombe Wood. ‘The Dell’ in Langdon Hills beat over 55,000 entries and is one of 12 photos that make up the 2014 Countryfile calendar.

As well as having his photo on the front of the calendar, Bill also wins £1,000 worth of photographic equipment.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Robinson

The Dell

Coombe Wood in the Langdon Hills, Essex, is one of Bill’s favourite spots. He was struck by this scene because of the way the bluebells are framed perfectly by the trees. Finally he got around to taking a photo of it – and to really bring out the shape he set up his camera to give a slight fish-eye effect. This is the first time Bill has entered the competition. He was “stunned” to be chosen as one of the finalists.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,702
          I can recall a few years back when I was regularly visiting a fishing forum, we had photo comps there and one was won by a photo taken on a camera phone, even thought there where many entries from dslr users, some of them top end jobs too. Its NEVER the gear that takes the best photo its ALWAYS the photographer.

Having said that, its a natural progression to get bigger and better gear as you become more involved in photography and take better photo's. Personally, I think that many comps are won by top end cameras because the cameras owner a super efficient photographers who have improved over the years and bought better kit due to that.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,040
            I only bought the country file calendar once, not sure when, but a few years ago.

It was awful, either close up pics of insects or country scenes so heavily photoshopped they we unbelievable.

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,650
            Here's a copy of the photography rules;)

4. Countryfile is aware that digital photography does allow for some image enhancement. You can enter images that have had spots, scratches or other blemishes removed. You can have worked on the colour or enhance the image for the sake of the composition. You can also crop the image to improve composition.

We will not accept composite images - entries that stitch two or more separate photographs together to make one image, or entries that superimpose elements photographed separately onto an image.

We want you to stay faithful to the spirit of the competition, and never deceive the viewer or misrepresent the aspect of nature being portrayed. BBC Countryfile and the judges reserve the right to exclude any image they believe may have been excessively treated so as to alter its authenticity.:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,341
            It was this pic I was referring to
            Agree it is the tog not the camera,

Jack McH

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
            • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
              Ratings:
              +3,225
              He bought himself a new well deserved canon camera with that prize money.

• Like Like x 1
              • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +91,650
                Good morning Jane and thank you for your informative post,much appreciated my friend,I forgot to say congratulations Mr Robinson :) and a wise choice from Pentax to Canon;)

Only my little joke Armandll no offence intended my friend:)