Country Living /David Austin roses offer

Discussion in 'Roses' started by returnmack, May 12, 2009.

1. returnmack

returnmack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Saw this and thought I'd pass it along.

In Country Living magazine, David Austin is doing a range of 7 old roses at £7.50 each inc p&P, (usually £16.20 each!) to be delivered as bare roots in November.

The choice is:
    Rosa mundi
    Charles de Mills
    Madame Hardy
    Tuscany Superb
    Ferdinand Pichard (gorgeous!)
    Willian Lobb
    Rosa gallica

The idea is to go to the David Austin website and enter code CL26

Alis

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Well ... I think David Austin roses are expensive!

I get mine from Cants (because they are local) and their Rosa mundi and Charles de Mills (and perhaps all the others, I didn't check) are £7.90 normal price ...

Excluding carriage of £4.00 (1-4 plants), £5.50 (5-7 plants), £8.50 (8 plants and over)

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi Returnmack ,I take it that's November 2009 :thumb:Have to agree With Kristen about the being expensive ,But thank you for passing this on
    It Is appreciated and most welcome and then all our friends here will have the opportunity to purchase them or Not :thumb: and If there are anymore offers anywhere they are always welcome on the Roses Thread at GC:)

4. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    RE David Austin Roses,
    In my opinion for whats its worth, and being aged..
    I find you usually get what you pay for.

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Me and Mr Kandy went up to David Austens rose gardens/nursery last year at Albrighton,something we kept promising ourselves we would do for years but other things got in the way:D

Anyway,we were pleased with the standard of the containerised roses and the gardens were very good with lots of roses in flower.We were there a good two hours.:)

Anyway,we didn't buy anything while we were there because we were due to go on holiday and didn't want to risk losing the roses that we bought there because our neighbours who were looking after our garden are not the keen gardeners we are so would probably have come home to the bushes being dead.:p

While we were away at Christmas we visited the local garden centre and found two Gertrude Jekyll roses,one of which we bought for ourselves and the other one as a part presant for my sister and brother in law as a Thankyou for the pleasure of their company for a few days.We paid £13.99 each for the two roses as containerised plants and thought them both good value.As I said to Mr K we are both non smokers don't hit the bottle every night and don't go out to restaurants every week or buy the latest fashions from Next or £500 for a handbag like some of our village friends have done{Boring we are...Not:D} so for us to spend a bit extra on quality plants for us is a bonus because if they live for the next ten years or so then we think that very good value for money:thumb:

I have a Peace rose that we didn't pay a lot for when we first moved here from a local GC and it has struggled since the day we put it in the ground and if Mr Kandy has his way it would go in the recycling bin:euw:

We have a new garden that we are trying to turn into a nice cottage garden so David Austins Old Fashioned roses should suit our style down to the ground{or up the walls}:D

I have David Austins Handbook of Roses 2008/9 in front of me as I type and see that if I had bought Gertrude Jekyll from his catalogue it would have only cost me £11.95 each or three for £30.50...I rest my case:D:gnthb:

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "if I had bought Gertrude Jekyll from his catalogue it would have only cost me £11.95 each"

£9.50 from Cants of Colchester :)
    £8.45 from Harkness :) :)

(both probably bare root though)

More suppliers here:

http://www.rosesuk.com/rose_locator/roses/english_roses/501_gertrude_jekyll.php

worth a look actually, lots [of suppliers] listed for each rose. Cants and Harkness are the only two I am personally familiar with, and would recommend for quality)

7. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Kirsten,many Thanks for the link:thmb: I sent off straight away for the Cants Rose Catalogue which I recieved this morning.

I have been reading through it to see what it says about Containerised roses and it says that because they have to take the price of the pot,high quality soil based compost and nursery maintenance into consideration,they can't print the prices for those type of roses in the catalogue but if I would like to ring 01206 844008 they will discuss my requirements with them,so at the end of the day by the time I have gone through the palavour of phoning them,placing my order and paying P&P,I might just as well have a day out at David Austens place and buy my roses from him instead albeit at a slightly higher price.:D

I will keep the Cants Catalogue though as oppossed to recycling it so I can drool all over those nice roses I might like enough to buy:D

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yup, sounds like it. They are basically a bare-root (Autumn planting) outfit. So if you want to plant then it may suit you, if you are planting at other times no sense Cant's yanking a plant out of the field and stuffing it in a pot for you, eh?!