courgette and beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by galaxysue, Jul 17, 2009.

1. galaxysue

galaxysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I went to water my plants, i hadn't had much luck with the courgettes as a lot seemed to go soft so I was surprised to find these under the leave!!! It's the first time I have grown courgettes so it is a trial and error thing at the moment. This is my 4th lot of beans we tried climbing French Beans and runner beans at the moment the french beans have been more productive they are really yummy
    http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/galaxysue1963/eagles044.jpg

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    They do look good, but are they courgettes? What variety Sue? Look more like squash to me, still I'm sure they are equally yummy.

3. galaxysue

galaxysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pumpkin : Summer Ball F1 Hybrid

A first for British breeding! This unique 'dual-purpose' variety, Summer Ball can be grown as a courgette or as a pumpkin! Compact, bushy plants produce bright-yellow, round fruits which can be cut early as courgettes or left to mature to larger 1kg (2lbs) summer pumpkins. Pumpkin Summer Ball is ideal for growing in containers. Seeds are in the RHS Vegetable Collection.

This is what I pulled off T&M website so I suppose they are small pumpkins hope they taste good

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Interesting that, I grow courgettes and Pumpkins as seperate plants, are you planning to leave one or two to develop into pumpkins?

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Is that likely to stop the plant producing "Courgettes"? (Like letting a courgette turn to a marrow, by accident!)

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    It will continue to produce 'courgettes' but at a much reduced rate. :thumb:

I'd go for keep picking them as courgettes which will give you a number of lovely young veggies. Later in the season when the production has slowed down you could then leave a couple on the plant to see how well they grow into pumpkins. :)