courgette seeds

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by hammer, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi sewn some seeds in small pots.what i did was water the soil and plugged the seeds in gently covered them,then ive covered with cling film,do i need to water them again.
    sewn them about 6 days ago.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Hammer
    If the soil is dry ,i tend to spray with a fine mist so as not to get too waterlogged

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi hammer. I'd say there's no need to water again. Cheers...freddy.

4. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    so difference of opinion,are they ok to be covered with cling film put a small hole in top,as i have 10 sml pots in a tray, just wrapped it all around the whole tray.

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi hammer. To be honest, if it was me, I wouldn't cover them at all if I watered first. I'd be looking to just have it damp enough to germinate the seed (covered), or water and leave open. I think it's easy to over-water if you're not careful. Cheers...freddy.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think Freddy's right hammer, its easy to overwater at this stage and rot the seed, especially if the temperatures are low.

Are they just on the greenhouse bench or in a propagator?

Might say that I think you are a touch early sowing them, as you wont be able to plant them out much before late May early June, weather permitting of course.:)

7. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think Pete is being a tad cautious ?

I will be planting mine out 2nd or 3rd week April, with no worries.

I'd suggest a layer of newspaper as opposed to clingfilm. The might sweat / rot in that environment, whereas the paper will absorb some moisture as well as provide some heat - all the tramps cant be wrong !

Good luck though. If you like, you can always plant a second batch of seeds ? Don't know how many you planted, but i find 4 plants of 2 different varieties ( 8 total) is more than enough for a family of four.

8. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    OK...should I plant mine now, or wait till next week? It says April on the pack, so should I wait the extra few days?

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I've never considered marrow or courgette plants to be frost hardy, which is my reason for caution regarding planting out too early.
    I've know it go down to minus 6C here in April on an exceptional occasion, but ground frost happens regularly here in April.

I hope it dont though.:)

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I've found marrow/courgette seed will rot in the compost if I start them too early and its a bit cold (like now) I'm leaving mine for a week or two. They do grow very fast once they germinate, and don't take very long before they need planting out - so I agree with pete on the timings - I aim to get mine in the ground mid to late May, hopefully when the last frost has gone.

11. Gren

Gren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have some courgette seeds myself just waiting for the right time.

Should I be looking to start them off in pots, perhaps in the greenhouse, before I plant them out or are they just as good to sow straight into the raised bed I have planned for them?

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Gren; I've never had any success sowing them direct into the ground - so I start mine in pots in a propogater then I'll nuture them in my greenhouse when they are big enough.

13. Gren

Gren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, will give that a go. My solitary propagator is full of pots of toms, peppers and chillis at the moment. Maybe once I put them out in the greenhouse the courgettes can replace them.

14. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No need for a propogator, just three inch pots on a windowsill, they pop up in absolutely no time.

Think I covered mine in clingfilm with a couple of air holes in last year, then took it off shortly after they appeared.

15. Gren

Gren Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest the propagator is not even switched on as its by a bright window in the utility room. It does though protect seeds and seedlings from our 2 cats that insist on digging into any area of uncovered soil. Perhaps cling film or freezer bags and elastic bands will do the trick. Will then have to find some other protection once the seedlings pop up - at least my propagator has sliding tabs for air in the top.