courgettes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kedi-Gato, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Has anyone tried freezing raw courgettes?
    If yes, do they freeze well or turn out mushy? I have a lovely huge squash that is too much to eat at once and would like to freeze it raw if possible. Have courgettes coming along too, guess the same would apply to them.

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    They will go disgustingly mushy and inedible like apples! :(

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Liz is right. Why not make a soup with it. Have just made one with courgettes, tomatoes (blanched and peeled) and red lentils, with a bit of a stock cube - to taste. Delicious liquidised (we use a hand held Braun liquidiser that can be used in the pan) and then it can be frozen. you can jazz the soup up with any of your favourite flavourings if you like. Worcestershire Sauce is ideal.

---------------
    shiney

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    That sounds good, shiney- put it in the recipes section for everyone to see! I love soups, haven't tried that. [​IMG]

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Hi, Liz, just put Algarve's famous Caldo Verde recipe in the Recipe section ... [​IMG]

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Hi and welcome Kedi-Gato

7. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    It's quite cool today so I made that courgette soup that you told me about shiney - I am a big soup lover and now this is at the top of my list! I first made just enough for the two of us, adding a dollop of creme fraiche. It was so good that I then used the rest of that huge yellow courgette up (had to cut the middle out to remove the seeds, I think it we had let it grow too big) and now I have 3 good portions cooling off before going into the deep freezer.

8. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My first year growing courgettes, I planted two plants and I am absolutely amazed at the amount of courgettes that I am having to eat, I have courgettes almost every day, but cooked in different ways, soups, different herbs and spices, lightly fried. I treated myself to egg and chips yesterday and even found myself then with some courgettes on the side!!
    I know it won't last, but next year, I may only plant one courgette plant. :D

9. Matty Boy

Matty Boy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar situaiton last year having planted 4 and been given another 3. As you can imaging I had courgettes coming out of our ears.

I was however, very pleased to discover that the local green grocer was happy to buy them as everyone is into locally grown produce around here (stitch that TESCO!!)and so it was nice think that lots of people benefitted from the glut.

I recommend you try it if you have a glut.

The time is now to start the tide turning against produce having to be picked before it's ripe and flown around the world leaaving an enormous carbon footprint (not that I'm some tiresome eco-warrior or 'out!).

10. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    shiney - just want to tell you that I made the courgette soup again today, this time with a green one.

11. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    KEDI-GATO hi, I have never had courgette soup before I will try it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. timecharger

timecharger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I expect you can also freeze the soup - ensuring that you have some ready greens during the winter months

13. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Our youngest grandson and Hubby harvesting our first round yellow courgette on Wednesday -

[​IMG]

14. Biscombe

Biscombe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What a wonderful pic Kedi-Gato!! what variety was that? growing round green ones but would love to try the yelllow ones!

15. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Sorry, no idea Biscombe.

I insisted on having yellow ones and the woman wasn't even really sure that they were. She said "I think the ones in the blue pots might be yellow courgettes"!!! I bought one pot and a week later another one since I couldn't find yellow ones anywhere else this year. When they started growning we thought we had pumpkins, I did write that somewhere on GC. Someone said there are round courgettes, so I googled and found lots of mentions. If you can't find them down there, I'll send you some seeds.