Course fishing

Discussion in 'Hook, Line and Sinker' started by MichaelJohn, Oct 25, 2011.

1. MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn Gardener

Ratings:
    +309
    I go course fishing in sunny England , does any body else here fish rivers or lakes or even canals .. or am i the only one ..who was it who once said of an angler ....
    'A worm on one end, and a fool on the other ' yep thats me .. Micky :loll:

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Michael,

There are a few course fisherpeople on here, i'm mainly Sea, but did catch a Trout once.

• Like Like x 1
      • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +883
        I've caught loads of dogfish before, or bullhus I think they are called if they are big. A red gurnard I think and I seen someone catch a fairly big tope once. Caught a slimey eal thing on a beach once.
        Caught loads of canal finish too but never managed to catch a pike which was always my main fishing ambition. Personally though I don't really like to fish because I think It's cruel unless you eat them :D also fishing line is horrible stuff have found loads of birds dying tangled in it before :mad:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Lesser Spotted Dogfish are the usuall ones. Bull Huss are a similar but separate species, they get much bigger and have attitude.

Gurnard are a lovely tasting fish. Not allowed to take Eels anymore, from any freshwater in uk and up to 6 miles from the shore at sea:(

I fish to eat and usually end up bringing somebody elses fishing rubbish home with me.

• Like Like x 3
        • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +883
          Yea I thought you would zig :dbgrtmb:

I was on a charter fishing boat when the bullhus were being pulled out one after another. Some of the blokes on the boat would chop their heads off and tails, skin them and pile them up in the corner of the boat. Some of them still wriggling about splurting blood out over the boat :OUCH:

The tope was seriously cool though!!!

Caught the gernard in whales myself - none of us had a clue what it was untill got home and found a picture in a book. (ten years ago now)

Has anyone caught a shark!??

• moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +9,817
          Just heard it costs £825,000 to fish for a week for Salmon on the Tweed. Never thought of Angling as only for the rich but as far as the Tweed is concerned it would appear so.:mad:

• Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            That's just for the fishing rights Moyra. Its £700 for individual anglers, then you need the migratory fish licence which was £65 last time I looked.

£825,000 cost of salmon fishing right on river - Chronicle News - News - ChronicleLive

Never caught a shark, seen em about 30 yards out along the Chesil Beach. Caught a Smoothound which is a smaller version. Strictly catch and release with those.

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +883
            I would rather eat pike than pay that! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
            • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,593
              caught loads of sharks off the beaches in south africa .... we used to call them milky's (milk sharks) ... some decent sized ones are always around

they are a nuisance, as many times when you catch a decent sized fish, then while you are reeling the fish in, a shark comes from behind, and you are left with the head ... the same often happens when you fish off a ski boat

many fishfingers and fish cakes contain shark meat (in south africa) .... some of the anglers used to eat the sharks they caught ... from what I understand, the sharks have a different way of peeing, so you need to lay the fillets in milk for a while to remove the acid/urine

used to know a guy who bred rottweiller dogs .... he used to chop shark flesh in chunks, boil it and mix it with dried dog pellets for his rottweillers

as for dam fishing, have done a fair bit of that ...

we used to make a feeding ground with kaffir beer (its like dried beer hops and really stinks) ... you add some of that in a hessian sack .... take an inflated car tube with a flat board and parrafin lamp mounted on the board .... tie the hessian sack with some rope .... add a heavy rock inside the hessian sack

with a boat, you take the sack to a deep spot .... light the paraffin lamp and come back to shore and BBQ and party till the following day

then , you cast close to the hessian sack/feeding ground .... best times to fish were at night (hence the lamp, so that you could see where the feeding ground was), or early mornings ... the beer stuff used to seep through the hessian sack and attract the fish

same principle can be done by using sweetcorn .... boil some sweetcorn on the cob ... remove the kernals and mince them through an old fashioned mince meat machine .... place inside the hessian bag

was illegal though and if caught you would get a very heavy fine .... never ate the fish and always released them (I don't really enjoy freshwater fish ... not even trout)

• Like Like x 1
              • MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn Gardener

Ratings:
                +309
                Hey Moyra thats an awful lot of cash, with NO garantee that you will catch a Salmon :( more likely you will catch a cold :loll: Micky

• MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn Gardener

Ratings:
                +309

Hiya Pike are full of tiny bones and are good to eat, though i have never tasted one and never would to be honest .. i have caught lots of Pike and always return them safely back to where they belong in their watery world Micky :dbgrtmb:

• MichaelJohn

MichaelJohn Gardener

Ratings:
                +309
                Hey Hydrogen i caught a Hammer Head Shark on the barrier reef while i was fishing for another species .. it was only a small one .. i have a photo of me holding it .. strange looking beast ,, er the Shark ... not me :happydance:

• Like Like x 1
                • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +883
                  Oh they mint them are I think they aggresive hammer heads was it hissing and making loads of scary noises??

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +48,690
                    Used to fish years ago when I lived on the farm which was bounded by the River Hull, spinning for pike and fly fishing for trout and grayling. I was never one to sit and watch a float.

• Like Like x 1
                    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,389
                      Hi there - fishing is in the plans but no time soon -
                      What lakes and canals are you fishing in? Is the water clean and can one eat the caught fish?

I still haven't enquiried about licences etc because as I say I don't plan to start just yet.