covered rhubarb

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by exlabman, Feb 17, 2011.

1. exlabman

exlabman Gardener

Paramedic
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,
    Last year I covered my rhubarb crown with compost for protection. It has now started to sprout through the raised mound.
    Should I uncover it now or later? This is its second year.

My second plant still overwintering in the garage.

Cheers
    David

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi, I split my Rhubarb into 5 viable parts last November. Three parts went into separate compost filled buckets while the other two went back into the soil on a new site. All are pushing up into leaf from compost/soil without having any protection during this awful winter. So I would say, uncover it now and let it grow as it's a really tough plant! I wouldn't harvest it this year though [disappointing advice I know]. I certainly won't harvest mine this year but will give a chance to establish itself. I grew this particular plant from seed 30 years ago and it's still going strong - now that's value!!

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm forcing a clump in the pillbox, its just started to sprout :dbgrtmb:

It will be put out and allowed to rest for a year afterwards though.

4. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I don't why, Ziggy, but I've never forced my Rhubarb. I seen a lot programs where they mention it and read about it but was never ever tempted to do it. I'd rather let it get to normal size and use it then!!

5. exlabman

exlabman Gardener

Paramedic
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,
    Do you know why they shouldn't be harvested first 2 years as the stems wilt and die back if not picked anyway.

Cheers

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Rhubarb is tough stuff and I think you always get more than you can use - even from a couple of clumps.

Exlabman, the theory is it shouldn't be harvested in first year or two as it weakens the plant.
    Frankly, some of it needs weakening - if you want some rhubarb I would take it.

Armandii - I always do some forced rhubarb. Forced rhubarb is so pink and sweet and juicy. Never anything strong or stringy or sour about it.

It's just lovely very lightly stewed on its own as an accompaniment to a sweet dish or as a sauce to rich meat. Look at the price of it in a supermarket and you'll see what a luxury item it is.

This just reminds me to go and get a bucket and get some started :D

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The stems wither & die back to use the suns energy to build up a strong rootstock. Treat Rhubarb like you would Asparagus, plenty of rotted poo & a good sunny site, after all. its going to be in the same place for years. Good dressing of compost every autumn & get plenty of custard powder.

Alice, I was thinking of just eating the forced Rhubarb raw, dipped in demarara sugar, stolen by moonlight from a street Café.

8. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    I tried putting custard powder on our clump of rhubarb last year... but it didnt do it much good. :DOH: Whoever mentioned that... :th_scifD36:

:loll:

Glad to hear im not the only one who pinches 'additional' sachets of sugar... or was you just joking... maybe I am the only tightwad in the village. :heehee: :dbgrtmb:

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no sugar sweeter than a sugar that is free :heehee:

10. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    And there is always a lovely non offensive word to use if you ever get caught...

'OH S***R'

:D

11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I agree Ziggy, I wouldn't harvest Rhubarb until the 3rd year to let it build itself up. It's not an old gardeners myth but comes from the old Head Gardeners experience while in the employ of the Big Old House estates. They had to supply stuff on demand by the House Cook, including forced Rhubarb, or get an earful! Some of the old books I've got going back to the 1850's mention the Head Gardeners keeping different plot of Rhubarb, Them for forcing and them for later stomachs!

I will give forced Rhubarb a try this year, Alice, as I've got 3 clumps in 3 buckets so I can force one of them without touching the clumps in the soil. So I'll take your good advice - and look up a few recipes - unless you can help me out on that?

Ziggy, me 'ol pal me 'ol beauty!, you have such a lovely turn of phrase - It literally had me wanting to eat Rhubarb then and there! By the way, do Rhubarb leaves wither or do they crumble??

12. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :D

For oft when on my couch I lye, in vacant or in pensive mood,

I flash upon that inward eye, which is the bliss of solitude,

Then my heart with pleasure fills and wanders in the Rhubarb fields.

Appologies to the late great poet.

Sorry, they were making me hungry on the other, other thread last night. Had to get my own back, you weren't the target audience though.

Bother, made myself hungry for a creamy Rhubarb Yoghurt now :DOH:

13. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    For an ex-squaddy, [and believe me I have the greatest respect for them!], you have a very poetic and romantic state of mind!! - and we're all the better for it. Oh, and you made me hungry again!

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466

[hr]

Ziggy,

you must be a bit daffy! :heehee:

15. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, Shiney, according to the rumours in the village "there's tight and there's tight - and then there's you!"