Crab Apples to attract birds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Redwing, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Hello, just joined the forum. I'm a keen birdwatcher and I'd like to plant a crab apple to attract birds. I'm looking for a variety where the apples remain on the tree well into the winter months. I'd be really grateful if any of you people could suggest varieties that will do this. Thanks.

Redwing

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    How much room do you have? The reason I ask is that to attract the best range of wildlife, it is best to have a range of different shrubs (but I bet you already know that:) ). Obviously fruit bearing shrubs provide the food, but nice dense shrubs provide the nesting sites. It all hinges on how much room you have for planting your wildlife area.

3. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Thanks clueless1. I have a big enough rural garden with loads of birds....just want to keep them happy in the winter months with more fruit and thought a crab would help with that. I've been doing a bit of research and thought 'Red Sentinal' sounds like a good one for holding on to the crab apples throughout the winter. Do you know anything about it?

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Red sentinel is excelent.

Also, if you havent got any plant some rosa rugosa ( shrub rose), great for chafinches etc.

5. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Thanks Paul...gonna order one now. I do have rosa rugosa; they have such big rosehips. Thrushes like them too.

6. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a red sentinel. One day in Feb loads of apples, one day 20 blackbirds arrived and an hour later no more apples. Great stuff.

7. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Thanks, well I've ordered one, dug the hole and now just waiting for the nursery to ring saying it's in. Tahnks MOL.