Crataegus Persimilis ID help.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by MWSmudge, Oct 14, 2024 at 1:23 PM.

1. MWSmudge

MWSmudge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all, after a bit of help identifying what I presumed were the same tree but the leaves are very different....

Picture of the obviously hawthorny leaf are of a 5ft tree I purchased last year which is still available and the description is as follows: Thorn, Cockspur (false)
    Crataegus persimilis Prunifolia Splendens, Cockspur Thorn.

It came as a clean stemmed 5ft specimen so I thought I'd buy a few smaller saplings to plant around it to help it fill out a bit nicer in the years to come.

So the other picture has the description of Crataegus persimilis - Cockspur Hawthorn. But does look very different to the other tree.

Does this species leaves look different in younger plants or are they just a different tree or version of that tree?!

Cheers,

Matt

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
    Ratings:
    +617
    The first photo (ending 212) is the prunifolia or broad leaf Hawthorn. The other is the simple Hawthorn. I haven’t got my books handy but I think all the persimilis are broad leafed.

where did you buy the trees from?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • MWSmudge

MWSmudge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi. The larger tree was from Buckingham Nurseries. Did email and have attached the reply. Not entirely convinced....

Attached Files:

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
      Ratings:
      +617
      That image and text refers to Craetagus laevigata, I thought you had bought Craetagus persimilis? It may be the different varieties have the same level of variation but worth checking. Also yours appear to show a much greater level of variation?

• Agree Agree x 1