1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crocosmia Brown Tips

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Sally Parker, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    Hi,

I have a Crocosmia I bought a couple of months ago and it was very healthy and putting out lots of flowers, which lasted quite a while. Now though, the few flowers it is putting out don't seem to last long before they shrivel and the new flower buds have brown crispy edges around them and some of the leaves have brown crispy tips too. :frown:

What could be wrong?? The soil it is in isn't bone dry or soaking wet, it's slightly damp, so don't think it could be that. We haven't got it in the sunniest of places and have given it seaweed feed a couple of times, could that be one/both of the causes??

Here are some pics...

All the flower bud tips on the second photo are brown and dry.

Attached Files:

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hello Sally, photo no 2 looks like seed pods to me not flower buds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,260
      The brown tips could be caused by the wind scorching them. Overall it looks fairly healthy to me. I would deadhead as necessary and then wait for next years flowers, when it will have settled in properly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
        +145
        Oh, I did wonder if they were seed pods. :smile:

• Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
        +145
        Yes, could be wind scorch as it's always windy at the moment! I haven't really been deadheading as the flowers have just been dropping off!

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Agree......those "crispy" flower edges are spent flower heads Sally. It's what happens to flowers of all kinds when they have gone over. I remove these right to the base.....couple of reasons; plant looks better, without the extra weight and height it stands up better to the wind and rain and the energy then goes back into the plant to produce better plants for next year. But, that's it for this summer now. Flowering is over :noidea:
        The brown tips on the leaves could be because of the hot dry spell earlier but all looks good to me there Sally :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
          +145
          So these are spent flower heads and not seed pods?? So I should remove the whole stalks with these spent flower heads on??? Just don't want to remove them if they're seed pods!!

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Same thing Sally.
          Why would you want to grow from the seed? A rigmarole when you can more easily divide crocosmias or use the myriad of corms underground...???
          as I said, removing the seed/flower heads improves the plant you already have.
          However, the seeds are ready when the pods are crispy brown and easily shake out into your hand. Left to seed on their own you could be inundated with seedlings :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
            +145
            Oh, ok, get what you are saying now! Thanks Verdun! :biggrin: