Crocus Lawn yes or no?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by New Irish gardener, Aug 30, 2024.

?

crocus lawn

1. Yes go for it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes but with caution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no i would avoid it

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. New Irish gardener

New Irish gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am keen to plant a crocus lawn i love the look of them

I have a question over variety however!
    my lawn is in front of our house so ideally we would like to have the crocuses come up and then be able to be mowed soon after to keep the look of the lawn and not have the leaves too bulky and bad looking?

is pickwick a good variety for this? or does anyone have any other variety suggestions?

does anyone have any crocus lawn advice for me?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I have crocus naturally finding their way into my lawn. All I know about them is if you mow the leaves down after flowering they won't come back the next year, they need their leaves to store up energy for the future.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,551
      I would say no then, you need to leave for at least 6 weeks after flowering. Also mowing short enough to keep the look of the lawn will take the seed heads off when they emerge from the ground over the summer,
      As for variety you could use any of the Crocus vernus varieties including Pickwick, Crocus tommasinianus also naturalises well; you also consider autumn flowering species such as C sativus and C speciosus, these flower in autumn and put up leaves in spring.
      I have crocuses, snowdrops and anemones growing in rough grass, their leaves give an excuse not to cut the grass well into May nearly June in a good year and the autumn flowering crocuses mean I can stop mowing at the end of September which is good for me the plants and the wildlife.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
        Ratings:
        +575
        Yes, as @NigelJ says you need to be happy to leave the leaves until they die down. I had dreams of naturalising crocus in our front lawn, unfortunately OH couldn’t bear the sight of the leaves dying down and each year the area left unmowed got smaller and smaller until they’ve now given up completely :gaah:

• RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,305
        I thoroughly enjoy crocuses, but, while the idea of planting them in the lawn seems lovely, I'm leaving my lawn to the daisies, clover, buttercups and selfheal - and grass!!

Edited to add: and moss, of course!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +4,438
          I agree re the mowing. If you want the grass cut asap, that can affect the future health of the crocus. They take a very long time here to fully die back, so I'd have to leave my grass till about the end of May before cutting for the first time. Your location will dictate the length of time they'll still have foliage.

If you had a strip at one end/side, or a circle/square in the middle of the lawn, for them instead, that might be a better idea? :smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1