Crop rotation in small space

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Radiation91, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +724
    Hey hey!

I've reached the point where my raised beds are covered up ready to battle through winter. My attention has turned to crop rotation and planning what will be going in the raised bed after I pull up some stuff.

My question is...

In a small space (one raised bed) how do I go about dealing with crop rotation? I've got brassicas, roots, onions and legumes planted at the moment, because I want a selection of produce. I don't want to limit myself to one type of crop each year. On the other hand, I don't want to get a build up of pests in the soil from growing the same stuff each year either.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Rad91

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rad,

As you know I'm no veggie expert but, couldn't you just rotate what you grow now. The other thing you could do is look at " Companion Planting ". This would involve things like French Marigolds, Garlic etc.

3. Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +724
    Hi Ant,

Yeh I'm going to use companion planting to deter pests from detecting my crops. Got myself some nice seeds ready for next spring :dbgrtmb:

One issue (if I've understood this correctly) is that reusing the soil allows there to be a build up of pests and bacteria/disease in the soil. I get what you're saying about moving crops around but I've got one raised bed and the crops are all still in the same patch of soil so moving crops around each time wont help with "bacteria/disease in the soil"... or will it?

:dunno::dunno: