Crop Rotation - what to grow after squashes / pumpkin?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nFrost, Jul 4, 2013.

1. nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
    Ratings:
    +2,908
    Thinking ahead to the veg growing next year I've been looking at crop rotation. My plan so far:

Replace onions/leeks with peas/beans
    Replace potatoes with onions

My other two sections of the plot are squashes and pumpkin and I want to grow some potatoes and carrots again. Would these be okay to plant after squashes?

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I don't see why not. The overall aim to crop rotation is to not follow a crop with a similar one so help stop a build up of pests within the soil. There are many complicated crop plans available online but I choose to (mainly) ignore them and follow the idea of no two crops follow each other, but plant family based. So I wont follow sprouting broccolis with caulis or cabbage (both brassicas).

I'll also take into consideration the condition of the soil too, I manure/feed the ground/soil for potato crops and also for pumpkins squashes, other crops can follow the spuds without too much extra feed, but the squash patch will have had a lot of nutrition removed (squashes=heavy feeders).

Whole books could be written about the subject and many gardeners will have their own preferences on how to prepare the soil, but the best thing to remember is not to grow similar crops two years running, and get to know what your plants require, then feed the soil to allow those plants to grow well.

Steve...:)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Whilst I do have a formal 4-year rotation plan for my veg garden I plant my squashes in the same place every year (with the "pit" of well rotted manure freshened up somewhat)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
        Ratings:
        +2,908
        I'm not going to be too strict on myself so I'll go for potatoes and carrots then (maybe some turnips too!), thanks for the info.