Crotons

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Esoxlucius, Aug 2, 2024.

1. Esoxlucius

Esoxlucius Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    I bought a small croton Petra a few months ago. The yellow and orange veining on the leaves attracted me to it at first but I soon realised that if I was to achieve the maximum leaf colour of bright yellows, oranges and reds, and maintain that colour, then it would have to be placed in good bright, even full sun. And my north facing plant room ain't that!!

As a result the leaf colour has faded and now all I have are beautiful glossy green leaves with only a slight hint of faint yellow veining. I plan to change this as best as I can do I can enjoy it's full splendour.

At the moment, with it being summer, I've started putting it outside in our south facing garden, moving it inside at night. It is in a shaded position to start with so the occasional blast of full sun can't scorch it.

My question is, now I'm unlocking it's potential, how long will it be before those leaf colours start to pop. Is it a very gradually thing or, once it gets acclimatised to the outside brightness, can it literally be within a few days?