Crying Cat

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Paul West Sussex, May 22, 2008.

1. Paul West Sussex

Paul West Sussex Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have two darling little cats (can't work out how to post pics!!), the female comes into the bedroom at 4-4.30am and cries for attention, her Brother does not seem bothered, but she does it constantly and wakes everyone up, If we shut her out of the bedroom she claws and cries until she is let in, she has been spayed, any suggestions? We work all day so they are alone, could it be a seperation thing?

Thanks for any ideas

Paul

2. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul. It could be. All cats have their own personality and each is different. Does she have access to a drink at night? Just a thought that she might be thirsty, she probably just wants a cuddle though!

I have 2 boys and 2 girls and the girls are definatly harder work!

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hio Paul I have just written out a long post and then lost it all so hopefully someone will com along to help you out.Good Luck with your problem....

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    She ONLY does it at 4.30 am? Not any other time?

Would seem an odd timing for it to be separation. Does she have access to outside? Is she out when you go to bed and this is when she comes home?

Other than that, what do you do when she behaves this way? Do you let her on/into the bed and make a fuss of her? Do you get up and give her food? See, I think this is a habit which you - if you are responding to her calls - are rewarding.

So you should maybe keep her shut in the kitchen or somehwere but give her a cardi of something of yours that she can curl up on. And leave food and water down for her. Then, no matter what fuss she kicks up, do NOT respond. Only make a fuss of her when she has behaved, never in response to her demands.

It's difficult and may take a night or two but will be worth it in the long run.

5. Paul West Sussex

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your replies, she is probably just being naughty, I did shut her out of the room last night, and at about 4.30 - 5am she started crying and scratching at the door and we ignored her, she only did it for a few minutes then it went quiet.

She can come and go as she pleases as the cat flap is open all the time, she has plenty of water and food, although she may have eaten it all by then, Her brother has taken to staying out all night so I wonder if she wakes up and wonders where everyone is, she only does it to get cuddles, and will quiet happily have a fuss then settle down to sleep, but by then I am awake and she is asleep.

Paul

6. Paul West Sussex

Ratings:
    +0
    Also would love to show you all a pic of them but don't know to upload as on a mac, can anyone help?

Paul

7. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I wouldn't put up with my own cat waking me at 4.30 am.
    It's bad enough being woken by other peoples cats. :mad:
    Or scratching at the door causing damage .
    It would have to go in a crate out of ear shot until it learn to behave..
    I defiantly wouldn't have a cat or dog in my bed.
    Do you no what sort of things they carry in their fur. Yuk. :eek: :D

One point I have to ask.
    Why do some cat owner let their cats out all night ?
    Or in some cases make them go out at night?
    I have never understood this. :confused:
    Wouldn't it be better to train them from kittens to stay in at night.
    Safer for them and much less annoying for your neighbours.
    Then people like me wouldn't have to resort to
    Sonic cat repellers
    Water shooters etc.
    To keep them from
    Pooing in the flower beds
    Destroying plants.
    Killing birds and fish.
    Moaning and crying all night.
    Fighting in my garden.
    Etc etc.

They are supposed to be domesticated :rolleyes: :D

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Lyn - you forgot to mention the sicking up of fur balls on the clean duvet!!!

:p

Guess we know what NOT to get you for Xmas then....

[​IMG]

:D

PS Paul - Daisees is spot on with her advice. Kitchen confinement works for us with a nice cosy cat bed!

PPS: Just noticed....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!!! :)

10. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    OMG thats just gross YUK :eek: :D

Still no answer to the turning out of cats at night.

11. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Well, all I know is that in my young days, it was traditional that last thing at night before going to bed you put out the empty milk bottles and the cat! Litter trays were unheard of then as was the notion of keeping a cat indoors all night - I mean - they were NIGHT animals, weren't they? So they just naturally had couldn't be shut in. The very idea! Along with the notion of buying special food for them - they had the scraps that were left over from the family meal and if still hungry, were expected to fend for themselves.

And I well remember the first time that tinned cat food came into the shops. Some people about had a stroke laughing at that idea! Guess the laugh's on them now, eh!

As for what cats carry in/on their coats, that is down to the care the owner is prepared to give them. A well groomed, well treated cat will have minimal little guests om board. But they will never have none! Anyone has a cat or a dog, has fleas. It makes me laugh when people get all precious and say "MY cat doesn't have fleas!" - er, well, your cat goes outside, yes? Then I am sorry - they just DO! and that's it. Fact of life. Get over it. You could no more have a flealess cat than fly to the moon (unless they NEVER go outside, of course - that's a different kettle of fish). But the quantity is down to the owner - you prepared to treat your cat/dog on a regular basis then you have less of a problem. Like the man says, "A puppy (or kitten) is for life not just for Christmas" and that means your life being committed to making sure they are healthy and well groomed.

<end of lecture> :p :D :rolleyes:

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Just to add to the 'yuk' factor. My lovely dog sleeps with me all the time, her hair is all over the house & our car. She has very dry skin now (old) so flakes are there too. Occasionally she is sick indoors, not her fault, & she eats it up - yum yum.

Finished being sick?

We love her. Don't suffer at all because of this and i have to say have never noticed fleas or been bitten although i believe it is cat fleas that bite us. The only thing you have to watch for in the little creatures she brings in clinging to her coat.

Ha, ha. Just wanted to put that point across, being too clean is bad for you anyway. Humans have their own bugs living on them.....now I want to stop!

Hope you haven't just eaten, lol.

Each to their own.
    cheers

13. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Daisees is spot on, ignore and your cat will stop the mewing and clawing.

My tuffty being a rescue was inclined to wail at night for atention but I always ignored it and hes now stopped.

Agree about the water, tuffty drinks loads being that hes fed on dry food.

I never give tuffty set meals, simply just keep his bowl topped up, the result is he eats small regular snacks.

Lyn, Agree on having pets in the bed, my tuffty is alwed to sit on the bottom of the bed but certainly not in it!

15. Paul West Sussex

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well I seemed to have created quite a thread here...... Thank you for the constructive replies and the not so constructive ranting of others to a simple question.

She does have water and food and access to the outdoors, I might well train her to go to Lynn's house and poo on her lawn. She is an animal and does what is natural and that includes roaming and hunting at night, so I have no right to deny her that freedoom.

And they do not sleep IN the bed, and are given flea treatment every 4 weeks on the button as recommended.

Paul