Cucumber variety to choose

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Feb 20, 2015.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I'm a bit out of touch with varietes of greenhouse grown vegetable plants as only got my new greenhouse:):):) in April last year. I'd been greenhouseless for many years so I'm looking for a bit of advice please. Are there now varities of Cucumber which are easier to germinate and grow on? Certainly years ago they were bu....s to get going in my experience. I grew Cucumbers last year and could have stocked Tescos with the huge crop I got off 3 plants (bought in and not grown from seed and I have forgotten which variety they were :gaah:) The plants I had only produced female flowers which was useful (F1 variety?) but did suffer a bit from powdery mildew which I think was due to the plants growing so huge and due to their size perhaps the air circulation was compromised.

Any tips on successful germination and suggestions as to variety (I like the usual long thin skinned types) would be much appreciated. I don't have heat in my greenhouse but have a very sunny window sill to start plants of before moving things to my greenhouse when there is no liklihood of frost even in the greenhouse.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    I grew Shakira for the 1st time last year and I was still picking them last week of October , I will be planting again this year , a stray shoot wandered over to the tomato (huge pot) and rooted so I trained that up the bamboo cane as well , that was the shoot that produced fruits till late October

• Like Like x 2
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      Silu
      I get Kuna cucumber seeds from ALDI/LIDL 39p for a packet of 20
      I am in Fife Scotland with an unheated green house, two seeds started in small pots then transferred to green house and I get about twenty fruits per plant
      Even more I tried three outside and they took off too
      Forth year coming up, and have never been dis-appointed

Regards Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks for the advice. Hey Jack can you maybe sow a couple of extra and if I fail miserably I'll be round to get a few from you. I live in Fife too so very handy for me to pop over:). Have bought other veg seed from Aldi/Lidl in the past and had fine results so will definitely take your advice and give Kuna variety a go. Might also try Shakira and see which fruits I like the best.

• Like Like x 2
        • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,341
          No problem with sowing some extra for you,
          I have no experience with Shakira, just Kuna, which self fertilize, and no nipping off male flowers etc "They just grow and produce"
          PM me if you need to visit etc

Jack McH

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Anyone growing Bangkok Cucumbers? thought I'd give them a try this year for a change:blue thumb:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +48,994
              Not heard of those Loli, mind you I seem to grow a different variety each year myself, not that I'm unhappy with the last years lot just that new ones come along and the old ones disappear seasonally. The only one I recognized on the seed displays were Telegraph.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • alexmac

alexmac Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +196
                hi all I am trying Boothby blond cuc's this year for the first time sowed four seeds have four plants all looking good and healthy. I also grow Crystal Apple but these are small and there is a lot of waste but other half likes them
                good growing alex

• Like Like x 2
                • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  For years I always grown Telegraph but have been going for a change the last year or two.I have to say out of the few other varieties I've tried the old Telegraph have always been my best croppers even though mildew takes over by the end of the season.

• Like Like x 2