cucumber.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by hammer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    from seed grown indoors how long approx til they are transfered to the greenhouse.
    thanks.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I bought my Cucumber plants last year on 10th April. I would guess they were about 2 weeks old. So say sown last week of March - about now.

I then have no photographs, no record, nothing :( :( until 20th June. Can't believe it, I photograph everything regularly to be able to remind me what-was-what. Ho!Hum! :(

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I sowed my cucumbers on Saturday-is that about right?

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I sow them around the end of this month - aiming to get them into my unheated greenhouse in mid-may at the earliest (thats usually when the last frost has been with me) - so 6 weeks or a little more if the weather is cold.

5. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    My three seeds are just poking their head out in my conservatory. This is the first year I have attempted cues. Could be interesting.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yup, Mar/Apr is about right. Need 25C for germination. I wondering if mine can stay out in my conservatory now - last night I had a minimum of 10C recorded, and we had a frost, so I reckon that's going to be about the minimum form now on. The seedlings are just showing the first true leaves.

7. mumandason

mumandason Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grow about 20 cuc plants in an unheated glassshouse in SW Scotland and produce hundreds of wonderful cucumbers. I sow a bit later, early April because of late frosts here - we have had 'em in June! Last year I tried a new thing and took some short bits of plastic or bubble wrap and a couple of clothespegs and insulated each plant in the early weeks. Brought them on a bit and protected them. They are so fun to grow! Good luck.