Cumbrian Earthquake

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Just heard on the news this morning that last night just before 11pm an Earthquake was noted in Cumbria at 3.5 and the epicentre was in Buttermere.Not sure if there was any damage done.

Funnily enough when we were settling downto sleep last night I thought I heard a rumbling noise and thought of an Earthquake but then put it down to a car going along the lane.We are in the Midlands so wouldn't have thought we would have heard anything as I know my hearing isn't that good.It would have had to have been a larger maggnitude for that I would have thought:D

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Its an odd thing about quakes in this country.
    When there is one we dont know what it is.
    I know that was the case here in Yorkshire a year or two back when we had a 4 something.
    It was sleep time but it rattled everthing, woke me up, thought nothing of it and went back to sleep.
    It was not until when we heard about it in the morning that we realised what it was !

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Been in a few, door & window frames rattle & it feels like a monster truck is doing a handbrake turn outside the house.

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    We get one this size every few years. For anyone interested, try www.bgs.ac.uk:)

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    It's something I've always wanted to expereince then say to Mrs JWK "did the earth move for you?"

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    As they say in Wales, Tisha slap ? Dim Diolch Darling !! Excuse spelling, never learned to write in cymraig.

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Mind you, living on the dip slope of an eroded anticline, its only a matter of time John.

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
    :scratch::lollol: You are arwful, but I do like you!