Cure imminent for thousands of years old ailment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Scientists have made a breakthrough that could solve an as yet incurable disease that most humans born in the last many thousands of years have suffered with since birth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24607696

The majority of us now only manage to grow significant amounts of hair on our heads and a couple of other small areas, but scientists are one step closer to reversing this problem of baldness.

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    I hope my OH decides not to have any treatment. I've never known him with hair so to me he'd look quite odd. I think I'd miss his baldy head......I think it's quite attractive! :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +32,985
      I've got hairy arms, but my chest is not hairy, so will it help me to get a hairy chest :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        They can have the hairs that grow out of my ears and nose! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Actually, hair loss is not a disease. :) As the chemical science can get a bit complicated it's easier to imagine that hair is a waste product from the body. It's made up of 18 amino acids that get pushed up (excreted) from the body through the hair follicle (an indentation in the skin). These form a chemical called keratin. Once the keratin has been pushed out about .05 mm it hardens and forms the hair. The hair is held together by cysteine bonds (one of the amino acids).

When a hair comes out of the head it's because the lining of the follicle comes away from the head. This gets replaced by another follicle but when it doesn't you don't get a new hair growing. This new research is working on producing follicles that will be compatible with your body.

That's not quite what happens but is much easier to understand. :blue thumb:

The colour of hair comes from the melanin which forms about 1% of the structure. There are, basically, two types of melanin and your hair colour comes from the different proportions and concentrations of those two. When you go 'grey' it's because the body is no longer producing the melanin. Hair doesn't really go grey, it goes white/silver. It looks grey when you are still producing some melanin so some hairs are dark and others are white/silver.

Whether you have straight or curly hair depends on the shape of the follicle. Once again, rather simplistically, straight hair comes from round follicles and wavy hair comes from oval follicles.

Hair is very tough but can get damaged by alkaline products. So, washing your hair in detergent isn't a good idea. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1