Curling tomato leaves

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by princesspansy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. princesspansy

princesspansy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 7 plants of different varieties - all appear to be unwell - the first to be affected was the big boy whose leaves have curled upwards and all the others are following suit. Also the stems seem to be twisting. I've read several ariticles on curling leaves and I'm really hoping I have over-watered them - any suggestions on what else this could be? Thanks!!
    [​IMG]
    Here is a photo taken today, I have eased of on the watering but still the leaves are curled. I hope I dont lose the crop, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The most likely answer to your problem is over-watering princess but dont worry to much as they should correct themselves.Any chance of a picture of them?.

3. princesspansy

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid I'm not that technical yet re: photo but as soon as teenager comes home I will get one posted. The big boy now looks nothing like a tomato plant at all - but you will soon see for yourselves - do you really think they will be ok? I've never had to destroy anything through disease and can't bear the thought of losing the tomato plants - how does one cope!!??

4. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Come on pull yourself together woman.How are you watering it now?.And where was it grown?.How wet is it at the moment?.AS IT COULD BE LACK OF WATER.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) Hi PP, as coub says could be watering.. Have they been very hot & dry?? As that also will give the same sort of symptoms..
    Physiological or Nonparasitic Leaf Roll:
    Physiological leaf roll occurs during wet weather or when transplants are first placed outside. Typically, the leaves roll upward, at first appearing cupped but eventually rolling continues until the leaflets overlap. Overall growth of the tomato is usually not affected. Fruit are not injured by this condition.
    Another type of leaf roll associated with climatic conditions is called" nonparasitic leaf roll". (Note: Physiological leaf roll is also nonparasitic). Nonparasitic leaf roll is considered to be caused by an irregular supply of water or severe pruning. It is a temporary disorder in which the edges of the tomato leaves roll upward and inward, even overlapping when conditions are severe. Most leaves on the plant are affected but the condition is temporary, with the plant assuming normal growth habit within a few days following pruning or irrigation..

;) Some pics would be good too. How do you water & where are they as Coub says..??:)

:( If you don't think it is watering & the leaves are yellowing it could be more serious.. Have a look here...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestpics/qic2004/qic55.pdf

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It may be overwatering but sometimes when tomatoes are growing fast at this time of year the top new growth looks all curled up so this might be normal. If its dark green and the new leaves are normal sized (albiet curled up) then there is nothing to worry about.

Below is a picture of my tomatoes taken last night, which is not normal (I've been growing them in the same way for years and never seen anything like this):

[​IMG]

The sick plant is on the left with the same variety on the right. The one on the right was a â??spareâ?? that I had just discarded outside about 3 weeks ago and hadnâ??t bothered to tend, however I potted the â??spareâ?? up yesterday, itâ??s a bit smaller than my sick plant but isnâ??t showing any distortion or wilting symptoms. So that makes me think it might be my greenhouse soil (I have dug up the one on the left and put it into a 9" pot in new compost to see if it will recover).

Here's a close up:

[​IMG]

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread, I've already posted my problem on another forum and not yet got an answer on whats wrong with mine, I am suspecting its not a disease but may be something residual in the compost, I know that tomatoes are particularly sensitive to weed killers, and just wonder if there may be some residue in my freshly bought compost. I am also growing 7 different varities and they exhibit the same symptoms :(

Looking forward to your photos for comparison.

John

7. princesspansy

Ratings:
    +0
    It's defo not UNDERWATERING!! and they look much worse that anyone elses!! I have big boy in pot outside, 3 in greenhouse bed, 1 in g/h in hanging basket and 2 in outside g/h bed. Big boy is suffering the most followed by hanging basket then all the rest have started curling from the bottom upwards. I will post the photos soon - they look so alien I'm beginning wonder if they ARE actually tomato's

8. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We cannot tell a lot without seeing them princess.

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    As has been said. curling of the new leaves and some of the older ones is normal as far as I'm concerned, just as long as the leaves do expand into normal leaves eventually.

JWK, yours dont look right to me, the last time I saw any like it was in a neighbours greenhouse years ago, he was storing weedkiller in there.
    Just the fumes given off by the container when it hotted up in the sun was enough to distort the tom leaves.
    Not saying you are doing that, but could there possibly be contamination with weedkiller either nearby or in the compost.

Thinking about it, as they grew OK for a while it must be something that has recently changed/happened.

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    John, that tomato looks as if it`s been near a hormonal weedkiller, and they were banned for domestic use years ago.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    David/Pete

Thanks for your replies. Yes I am pretty sure my toms are reacting to a hormone weedkiller too, and I think it was residual in the compost I bought. I had read that tomatoes only need the slightest sniff of weedkiller to start going like this, but never seen it before.

I haven't used any weedkiller for years, I last used glyphosate (RoundUp), which isn't hormone based. I did wonder if my neighbour might have been using some, but my 'spare' plants that are not in this suspect compost are looking OK. If it was spray drift damage they would be distorted as well.

(PS: just did a google and there is a product called Westland Lawn Weed Killer, that contains 2, 4-D which is the 'nasty' hormone that causes this distorted growth, so it seems anyone can still buy it).

I am going to dig up the rest tonight and wash off all the suspect compost from the root ball, then replant them in pots using new different compost - Kill or Cure!

Your advice is most appreciated.

John

12. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Best of luck, John. I thought they`d banned 2, 4-D years ago.:)

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Strikes me that they grew fairly well until recently.
    How long have they been in the large pots?

Could the compost contain rotted grass cuttings?

14. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Princesspansy, yours look fine to me, that kind of curling is normal, tends to indicate the plants are doing well and growing fast.

15. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    They were growing OK in the greenhouse soil to start with. They have been in there 3 weeks or so.

I dug them out of the greenhouse soil last weekend when I noticed they were suffering and washed off as much soil from the rootball as possible, then put them into the large pots. I took the picture a day later.

Its not my own compost, so not certain what's in it.

I have used this compost in the past, it's supposedly 'organic'. I bought 30 bags of the stuff (80l each) and dug it in all over my veg patch, including into the greenhouse soil. All my other vegs are growing happily in it.

I had a response from a relative who works as a agrochem rep advising farmers and he thinks it could be contaminated compost. There is one particular weedkiller that farmers use which can find its way into organic compost. It can survive going through the cows digestive system and can find its way into farm yard manure!

But he thinks this is very rare and more likely nematode (eelworm) damage on the roots from a build up in the greenhouse soil. There's no cure available for home growers so I am going to dig up all the rest of my toms and use growbags.

I've managed to scrounge a few new young plants so this season may not be completely tomatoless!

thanks for your help