curling tomato leaves

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by sheelaghm, Jun 23, 2009.

1. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have several Toms growing in small buckets. They look healthy and are producing trusses but yesterday I noticed that 2 or 3 have some new branches?? which are growing twisted and the leaves are curled up. Checked for bugs but couldn't see any. Does anyone have any idea what this is and what should I do? Grateful for any advice.

Regards Sheelagh :help:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Twisted new top growth is generally a sign of stress. Most commonly overwatering or irregular watering but overfeeding would do it too - or if they have got really hot (forgotten to open greenhouse ventilation one day?) or too cold for that matter (probably unlikely at this time of the year)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    As Kristen says, if its the top growth then its fairly common. They will recover and unfurl if you correct the problem. Mine sometimes are like this in the mornings and then seem normal by the evening. I've seen this on potatoes as well.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    This is quite normal and will usually sort itself out. You shouldn't really start feeding until a truss has set (when the petals have dropped off the flower and you can see a tomato starting to grow) otherwise the plant will quite happily continue growing leaves and not bother with flowers.

If the first truss hasn't set yet then it is likely that the leaves are growing too quickly. If you have been feeding the plants I think it may be better if you don't do so for just a short while.

It is a similar situation with a lot of fruit/vegetable plants where you shouldn't start feeding until you can see the flowers set.

Good luck :gnthb:

5. sheelaghm

sheelaghm Gardener

Wife and Mum
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice everyone. It could be one of two things you stated.
    1. I've fed all my plants once but not all have a set truss. I knew to wait but have fed them all by accident when feeding the plants that needed it. :dh:

2. My watering has been a bit erractic as the weather has been rather changeable and I've been trying to adjust my watering accordingly - possibly not very well.

My report card would state 'must try harder'. Good to know it's nothing magor and will hopefully sort itself out.

Thanks again Sheelagh :thumb:

6. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Sorry to but in with another question...

Will it do the tomato plant any harm in the long run?

I have tumbling toms in hanging baskets, and they are healthy and happy, just making lovely green little toms at present, and obviously still flowering. But the leaves underneath, around the edge of the basket, look slightly curled sometimes. It doesn't seem to be lack of water, or too much water. Tried both, but sometimes it is more noticeable than others.

Is it just one of those things that won't cause too much harm as long as it is just a few leaves? I've never seen a tomato plant without a few slightly curled leaves.

However, I am new to this and learning fast, so I stand to be corrected :ntwrth:

7. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If you pick the pots up and lift the hanging baskets, do they feel heavy. If not they need a water. If the compost has dried out and wate will just run through.

i would suggest standing pots and hanging baskets in a bucket of water for an hour.

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Regarding the curling leaves, this is quite common on tomatoes and is a sign of stress, either under or over watering or cool conditions overnight. It happens more when the tomato plants are young and growing strongly. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it never seems to affect the yield of mine (it happened a couple of weeks ago to most of my toms in my greenhouse - mine probably got a little cold overnight).

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I agree, I don't worry about it, "it happens"