custard apple from thailand

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ggotch, Jun 21, 2015.

1. ggotch

ggotch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    hi,am looking for any information regarding growing custard apple plants from thailand.
    i have an indoor room set aside for growing,a tent thing(i call the tardis)various lights,fans and growing systems(wet/soil/mist) as detailed in my introduction thread.
    i am able to completely control the temps,co2 content and the humidity and feed

i have propagated several seeds in my misting chamber and they are now 2" seedlings with just 4 lateral leaves,the stems seem strong,clean looking although i have no idea wether they should be whatever color, and i have been flowing air over them for that purpose.
    i still have humidity domes over them at night/lights off and they stay straight upright regardless,which is encouraging.

my initial problem is seemingly very very slow growth and i suspected rootrot but they seem good,its been:3 mths to germinate/pop seed and a month to reach current 2".
    i have had yellowing of the leaves and gently introduced nitrogen into the plain ph6 feed which has returned them to green.

i have all my temps/humidity levels/co2 levels etc recorded but dont want to overcomplicate this first thread,i have an ocd that overcomplicates everything thing in life unfortunately and i have to reign myself in,,a lot...heheh.

im hoping some kind soul will have tried these seeds to completion and could give me a outline of how i go about producing these plants,ie what micro climate and feed schedule i should be looking for.

thanks.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Sorry, but my thoughts are you just need a greenhouse, fresh air and good sunlight works wonders even in the UK,at this time of the year.
    But you would need to wean you plants off, very slowly, from their very unreal lifestyle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      @ggotch , I've just tead your introductory post, so now I understand a bit more.

You know, cant help thinking the plants would be better, even on a window sill, this time of year.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
      • ggotch

Ratings:
        +2
        thanks for reply.
        yes i definately need a breenhouse lol,but im afraid i cant have one here so i went indoors growing instead :)

have tried one au natural but it died quite quickly,simply not enough humidity for it in the window i suspected at the time.

no matter,ill keep on as i am,the remaining two are still alive at least,perhaps they take a looong time to hit the vegative growing stage.

cheers.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        I think any movement from growing enviroment would need to be very gradual, a bit like hardening off plants from a greenhouse before planting in the garden.

Humidity should not really be a problem once hardened off.

• Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
        Ratings:
        +893
        Unfortunately they are trees/shrubs, which means that sadly you are unlikely to get them large enough to fruit. They take several years before being large enough to be mature and bear fruit.

• ggotch

Ratings:
        +2
        yes im thinking its a waste of good soil now,nothings changed in a month now lol,like its frozen in time.
        thanks for answers/help though.
        cheers.

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389