Cut flower - Cosmos

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Steve R, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    No doubt about it, cosmos are a great plant to grow for cut flowers as they produce a mass of blooms, and their fern-like foliage also looks great in a vase.

I love the white one, the variety is "Purity" and grow it every year, but this last two seasons mine have not grown white, they have been more of a pinky/purple.

I read up on it last year and found that this could happen if the soil is too rich, so this year I grew most of them in a poorer soil and I still have these pinky/purple blooms, they are nice but they are not Purity.

Last years seed was used up and this year I used two different suppliers seed...

Anyone have any input on this?

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      IMG_5210.JPG Morning Steve R :)
      I grow groups of purity and they are, as always, pure white.
      I dont think the colour is affected by the soil. In rich soil plants tend to produce lots of foliage at the expense of flowers....... in very poor soil growth and flowers would be much less. So, for me, an average soil produces the best results.
      These cosmos have been in flower for most of the summer......soil in this area is well drained in full sun but of reasonable quality. I never add fertiliser though

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      I have grown Cosmos in the past and yes, they are great in a vase if cut flowers. I would go as far to say. Cosmos on their own make a grand arrangement. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed many plantings as being so much more stronger looking.

• Like Like x 1