Cuttings from Lavender

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ArcticFox1977, Jun 1, 2011.

1. ArcticFox1977

ArcticFox1977 Gardener

Firefighter/Driving Instructor
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello.

I am wondering how to go about taking a cutting from lavender plants.
    I am new to propagating. So please start with the real basics.
    We have 8 lavenders in the garden already. 2 in pots the rest in the ground.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    One way to propagate a mature plant is to take it out of the pot and bury it so that a third to a half of the stems are covered - the stems will root. This works best with an older plant that has gone woody.
    Another thing to try is to save some seed and sow it next spring. I've just potted up two seedlings that sprang up in a potted olive that had been sat next to a lavender last summer.

• Like Like x 1
    • chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +12
      • Like Like x 1
      • treetops

treetops Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm almost 3 weeks into my first ever propagation which is with Lavender too, and they are just starting to root!

I simply took a lot of sideshoots from an old plant we have in the garden, pulling them from the main stem keeping a small heel on them as shown in the link above. I then mixed some multi purpose compost (from asda - their brand) with some perlite and planted them in that, scratching the heels slightly with my nail to reveal a bit of the soft green underneath. I had no plant pots (new to gardening) so cut a load of coke bottles up, using the bottom of those with lots of holes drilled for drainage. I dipped the heels in some old rooting powder i was given (have since purchased some new) and have been keeping the cuttings slightly moist by spraying them every day or two, and watering the pots if they seem a bit too dry.

I also went out and purchased a hidcote lavender and have taken cuttings from that too.

All the best with yours, and good luck

PS i don't have mine in plastic bags, just placed by a not too sunny window in the shed. I guess the plastic bags would allow me to leave them longer but i didnt have any at the time

• Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +827
        Hi ArcticFox197 I am in Angus Scotland and have got lavendar cuttings in cell trays rooted growing nice outdoors .

At first I put a lot of tip cuttings and multi plants in pots watered and left outdoors and all rooted.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352
        Hi All

All the above is realy good advice only thing I would add try and take off the cuttings from the same plant if making a mini hedge , will flower at the same time same height etc

I trimded mine today all the old flower heads and stalks I smelled like a lavender bag when I came back in :heehee::heehee::heehee:

Spruce

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Many years ago I took cuttings from lavender plants growing in the front garden of where my wife (to be) was living whilst studying at Oxford, my (late) father propagated them, and they're now growing in my In-Laws garden.

So they're rather special to both of us and we are determined to keep them going.

• Like Like x 1