Cuttings

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Hairy Gardener, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Hairy Gardener

Hairy Gardener Official Ass. (as given by Shiney)

Official Ass.
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    On September 1st I took cuttings of Fuchsia and a Hebe, the Fuchsia has definitely rooted as there is very noticeable new growth, and I am sure the Hebe has too as it looks like there is some new growth and all but 1 of the 4 looks good and no sign of wilt, there is also a good resistance when I give a gentle tug on them.

What do I do now?

Leave them in the 'starter' pots or pot them on? I know I need to keep them frost free, but would an unheated conservatory be ok, it gets cold in there, but nothing freezes, probably drops to about 3-4C at worst and gets a blast of warmth from the kitchen every now and then. It is south facing so gets lots of light all day.

If I am honest, the Fuchsia is replaceable (cheap to buy), my main concern is the Hebe, as I don't know the particular type and it has very sentimental value for both the OH and I, the mother plant has been with us for nearly 20 years and due to both my neglect and 'Builders from Hell' has to be replaced ( it has also been very sickly this year with lots of molds and I don't know what).

Advice please :cat-kittyandsmiley:

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I don't have any clue to which variety of hebe you are trying to propagate so I can only give generic beginners advice.

I took bits, stuck them in pots (outside) and left them to it :redface: (2011/12)

Way back in (maybe) January/February this year, I asked advice here (with pics) and was advised to pot them up for this years growth before thinking of planting up. Erm, then life happened :redface: So, most have remained in the pot (but, it was a generous pot!) and all have thrived. I'm just waiting on Mr "M" to dig out a patch of lawn so I can plant them in situ before the frosts come!

Based on my experience, last Autumn/Winter was one of the harshest in my area for a long while and all of them survived. Now, I'm not suggesting that is the *best* course of action, just posting my personal experience.

Hopefully, someone more experienced will be able to give you some more detailed "care" advice. Just don't fret if life happens and it doesn't all go to plan, because some varieties will thrive on neglect too :redface:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hairy Gardener

Hairy Gardener Official Ass. (as given by Shiney)

Official Ass.
      Ratings:
      +1,468
      Thank you M, I don't know what Hebe it is either, labeling wasn't a strong point back then for me.

They have been in an unheated propagator, in the blow away greenhouse until about a week ago, I moved them into the conservatory still in the prop, as temps were getting below 12c at times and I am desperate to try and save the Hebe.

If memory serves, it has never had any issues being Hardy, so I might put the pot outdoors again, to find it's way, so to speak.....

Thanks again. :blue thumb:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Cuttings taken in September, in the main, I would be inclined to leave in the original pot until next year. Potting on means they will have minimal root, for the pot size, and a risk that they cannot easily handle the amount of water that the pot can hold - meaning that they run the risk of being cold & wet at their feed. In the original pot there will be a higher proportion of root, so easier to keep them not overwatered. However, I would given them some very weak fertiliser as probably not much / any in the pot (depending on what potting compost mix you started out with - the more grit / sand / perlite etc. added to help the cuttings to root the less the available nutrients). I think the Hebes will be fine in any event, but if they are precious you might want to try them on a windowsill to bring them along a bit during the winter. Watch out for bugs though, if you are going to overwinter them "mollycoddled" :)

• Agree Agree x 1