Cycads

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    I am embarrassed to put this picture up, but does anyone have any ideas what's wrong with my Cycas revoluta (Sago Palm) ....

[​IMG]

It is up on the deck in full sun with the other palms and such likes and all are on irrigation nightly.

The suffering ring of fronds is from the year before last, the fresher ones last year and the new ones from this year are now disappeared. This all happened in a couple of days.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Mine looks very similar, a bit yellowish with brown bits also.
    I guess we can expect the older fronds to die off, but the new ones should be dark green and shiney.

In your case perhaps we could blame the heat, but not in mine, winter frost maybe my problem.

I've tried feeding mine with high nitrogen and also epsom salts, even iron, but I cant get those dark green fronds that they have when you buy a plant.

Maybe they dont like full sun, but I'm sure I've seen them in pictures growing well in the Med.:)

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Lol, have you repotted it recently or is it in old compost, maybe lacking in nutrients ?
    I take it like mine, you have nowhere to plant it out, as I guess you would have by now!

4. PRodgers

PRodgers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Discolouration in older leaves but not the newer ones is indicative of a deficency in one of the essential minerals if memory serves, unfortunately I can't recall which mineral deficiency it is which tends to cause this off the top of my head.
    A good reference work should be able to tell you though :)
    Or it might be a species specific problem i suppose.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Lol they don't like being repotted I did mine early last year and it just stayed still no new fronds ,looks a bit more promising this year with a new set of fronds appearing it's in multipurpose compost and just gets a slosh of chicken poo slurry once a month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Yours looks pretty good walnut:thumb:

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Thanks guys. :)

pete, in Ferragudo (where the beach is I like and where I got your peppers from) all the roundabouts are heaving with Cycads amongst the Washingtonias and Banana Plants and BoPs. They are recently planted in the last year as roundabouts have become the 'thing' here so they plant fully grown trees. A.ll the Cycads are a deep green and have six-plus rings of fronds .... and they are dark green .... in full sun!

strongy, no I have not replanted it. T'other half wants to but I decided to post this question beforehand. As I have four things up on deck in rubber pots (to keep the moisture in, although with holes in the bottoms) I was wondering if by irrigating nightly rot may be setting in ???? If it wasn't over 30 in the day I would go investigate but I'm not very good at doing such in full sun in such heat but I must make a concerted effort to pull it out of the pot and look.

I can't buy chicken poo here walnut that I know of .... an English thing .... third world country and all that and need to find someone with chickens (my friend Stu uses all his for his garden) .... but yours is looking good! :thumb: What size pot is that in?

I'll keep you posted.

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Could the irrigation be washing all the nutrient out of the pot.

I know its hot there, but nightly irrigation to a pot plant seems a bit drastic.

Just a can with a bit of very dilute feed every other day, would perhaps work.

I also see its standing in a saucer, is it getting water logged?

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    A 14" pot my lady, why don't you keep a few chickens? eggs, fertiliser and pest control all in one.

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    I was wondering about the water logging, pete, and the nightly watering.

T'other half still wants me to repot it (he does 'do' gardening) but I am holding back.

I'm really justing monitoring it at the moment.

My dear friend, walnut .... I would love to have a few chickens for the purposes you mention .... however, some years ago our 20 square meter dry stone wall enclosed chicken pen was converted into an outdoor living room with deck on top. Previously our 20+ square meter donkey shed was converted to our kitchen/diner so no go there. There is no logical space to put a pen up for their safety at night so, consequently, no chicks I'm afraid. :(

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Just an update .... I removed the Cycas from the deck and transferred it to a clay pot the same size, removing the outer ring of fronds and dead ends off last year's fronds, and placed it in a filtered sun position ....

Here is is three weeks later with its new set of fronds that developed within days of being moved .....

[​IMG]

Hopefully with more iron the leaves will green up again. I think it's on its way to recovery .....:thumb:

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    It looks much better now LoL.

This thing you have about rubber pots, do you mean plastic.

Anyway, I dont like plastic pots in full sun.
    Have you ever felt how hot they get.
    The roots cook.
    I know clay is porous and means more watering, but surely it must be more natural for the roots in hot weather.

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    No, pete, I haven't got a thing with rubber ... pots or anything else .... too hot in this heat .... :D

It was planted in a builder's bucket, which perhaps is rubberised plastic ......this all sounds a bit kinky now. :eek::rolleyes: They are flexible, like friends I guess but they are for fronds .... if you get my drift! Palms and such like are sold in big rubberised pots, look back at my first photo, they are all in them. Some of these pots are big enough you could use it as a plunge pool for four adults, heated I guess .....

I'm laughing so much I have to go now .........

14. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
  15. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Just finished watering and am so pleased with the results a week later ....

[​IMG]

The new fronds are now way above last year's. There's still an issue with the yellow on last year's .... but I'll work on that. :)

Now it's time for a salad in the fresh air .... :thumb: